Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Getting a stamp not found message — Parallax Forums

Getting a stamp not found message

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
edited 2010-10-10 16:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
I have two stamps. One is a BS1, and one is a BS2. This BS2 is the one that I won in the contest several days ago. Then that started:

All of a sudden starting about two days ago I would get intermitten "stamp not found" error messages. The instruction to identify device would show me that the USB adapter is found, and indeed I can see the LED pair responding.

Today it seemed to be a constant, one. I then cleaned up the wiring on the breadboard, and swapped out my power supply.

I then woke up the BS1, and attached the 9v I have here, and the adapter to make it possible to program the device via the serial port. The whole business was then connected to the USB device. The instruction then to identify the device confirmed that it was indeed a BS1, and even confirmed the version of the onboard firmware, which was at 1.4.

Is it possible, however unlikely that some classic freak event caused my completely new BS2 to become a "duff device". Or as the Brits would say about gear, it became US? (A phrase that was coined to describe something that just would not work, it was discontinued during WWII when we were there during the whole business in general.):smilewinkgrin:

Now the question worth a heck of a lot of time.

What's involved here in a warranty return? Do I just call the 800# and explain that I have here a BS2 who suddenly quit, and that I'd like to return it for a warranty repair? :idea:

I had billions of ideas taking shape for the fellow, including one for the color graphic LCD display breakout from Sparkfun...... Yes I know that's for a different thread.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-06 20:07
    It takes quite a bit of effort to destroy a Stamp unless you connect it backwards to its power supply (and you're not using the built-in regulator which can protect against that) or you connect its regulated supply pins (Vdd / Vss) to some power source much above 7V.

Do call Parallax Tech Support and they'll either help you get it going or arrange for you to return it. They sometimes replace it for free, sometimes charge a small "repair" fee.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2010-10-06 20:13
    Mike Green wrote: »
    It takes quite a bit of effort to destroy a Stamp unless you connect it backwards to its power supply (and you're not using the built-in regulator which can protect against that) or you connect its regulated supply pins (Vdd / Vss) to some power source much above 7V.

Do call Parallax Tech Support and they'll either help you get it going or arrange for you to return it. They sometimes replace it for free, sometimes charge a small "repair" fee.

Hello!
    Thank you Mike for your prompt reply. Yes I am going to place that call tomorrow.

After a couple of nasty episodes with other things I am very careful to observe the ratings on everything from a brolly, umbrella, to even microwavable meals.

So I'll take a wack at it again to see if the stamp is indeed not at home, and then do the above.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-10-06 20:16
    What's involved here in a warranty return? Do I just call the 800# and explain that I have here a BS2 who suddenly quit, and that I'd like to return it for a warranty repair?

Totally easy, Buck Rogers. Call 916 624 8333 and ask for the tech guys - four (4) of them are available so you usually don't need to wait. We hate to keep people waiting on the phone because your time is valuable. When you are transferred tell them you have a BS2 that's programming intermittently. They'll give you an RMA number and you'll send it back. If it's actually damaged we'll replace it for $25; if it's working properly we'll send it back to you.

The process takes a few minutes. And if you end up being anything less than totally satisfied with the whole experience tell us how you feel. We will listen carefully and aim to improve wherever possible.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-10-06 21:31
    Totally easy, Buck Rogers. Call 916 624 8333 and ask for the tech guys - four (4) of them are available so you usually don't need to wait. We hate to keep people waiting on the phone because your time is valuable. When you are transferred tell them you have a BS2 that's programming intermittently. They'll give you an RMA number and you'll send it back. If it's actually damaged we'll replace it for $25; if it's working properly we'll send it back to you.

The process takes a few minutes. And if you end up being anything less than totally satisfied with the whole experience tell us how you feel. We will listen carefully and aim to improve wherever possible.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Hello!
    Thank you again Ken Gracey. You are still a credit to your profession. And naturally your advice is worth plenty of them.

Mike I just, on a whim just tried connecting it to the 9v supply to its VIN point. Strangely enough it worked. What's even stranger, is that's the same point that the 5v one was attached to....

Ken G, I am going to call anyway, if only to bring this to the attention of your group, so they can appropriatley update the documentation.:idea:
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-06 21:35
    As has been mentioned many times before, most (>90%) of "Stamp Not Found" situations are due to some kind of power problem or a problem with the serial connection to the PC, often a bad connection, sometimes a dying battery or flakey wall-wart power supply.

The Stamp has to have power and it has to have an intact serial connection to the PC including the DTR control line.
    edited 2010-10-09 20:51
    As has been mentioned many times before, most (>90%) of "Stamp Not Found" situations are due to some kind of power problem or a problem with the serial connection to the PC, often a bad connection, sometimes a dying battery or flakey wall-wart power supply.

The Stamp has to have power and it has to have an intact serial connection to the PC including the DTR control line.

Hello!
    Problem solved, I believe :smhair: . You offered by example :
    ...often a bad connection, sometimes a dying battery or flakey wall-wart power supply.

That was I believe the problem. The PS I chose was dying. It simply crashed to a sudden and annoying halt without telling me about it.

You also offered

In all of the above I did double and sometimes triple check my connections. It seems to want to work now. I'll know more if any of my hardware from outside of Parallax needs to be replaced.:mad:

But otherwise, Mike your advice as always is sound and worth its weight in all of the power materials used in this Galaxy and probably several others, and even in Platinum. And should we ever meet in this City, I owe you a meal in a certain deli in the old neighborhood.
    edited 2010-10-10 16:43
    Hello!
    Problem solved, I believe :smhair: . You offered by example :

That was I believe the problem. The PS I chose was dying. It simply crashed to a sudden and annoying halt without telling me about it.

You also offered

In all of the above I did double and sometimes triple check my connections. It seems to want to work now. I'll know more if any of my hardware from outside of Parallax needs to be replaced.:mad:

But otherwise, Mike your advice as always is sound and worth its weight in all of the power materials used in this Galaxy and probably several others, and even in Platinum. And should we ever meet in this City, I owe you a meal in a certain deli in the old neighborhood.

Hello!
    Surprisingly enough :confused: the device in question did survive the collapse of the original power supply. This is the Sparkfun serial backpack. I have the whole business running variations on a theme of Ron C's source code.

My next step will be to see if a different display, works, if it does and then of course sort out the rest behind that display....? Then I am tracking down the particulars for building a method of making use of these displays.