Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax GSM/SMS Module Update — Parallax Forums

Parallax GSM/SMS Module Update

AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
edited 2013-03-27 02:24 in Accessories
Ken and others might have mentioned we are working on a GSM/SMS module. The initial design was done with a Telit GM862-QUAD, but Telit has notified me that they are planning to EOL this part next year, so I am going to do a re-design with the new GC864-SIM-V2. Attached is a pic of the GM862 version prototype I have been soldering together.

The design is powered by USB or external uController interface and you can communicate via USB or uController. Also, there is a 512K-1MB flash on the PCB to store local information and logging data so it stays with the unit. Eventhough SIM cards have memory there isn't a lot, so this is a nice feature, so that as you change SIM cards you can have information or a database that your microcontroller can read if need be.

This version is just a slave like the Sparkfun versions, but if it sells well then I think we will do another version with a Prop on board, more IO, DA, AD, servo and motor control, maybe even relays for AC switching.

I was in the meat of finishing when the news from Telit about ending the life of the GM862 series came, so instead of continuing this design, I have to redesign the mechanical layout of the PCB, change some of the design to support the new control signals and IO pins, and rip this entire route up which really is too bad since the auto router couldn't even remotely route this board and like many (especially anything high speed or RF), you have to do it yourself.

So, we would have been in BETA this month if I didn't have to change the design, but I figure a good 40-80 hours to change the module, redesign the system, re-route the whole thing and get back to where I am right now. But, this will be better in the end rather than going with the older GM862, eventhough, I really love that series, its reliable, works great, etc. But, Telit believes that they need to remove it from their manufacturing portfolio and keep making things smaller.

Andre'
1800 x 1200 - 220K

Comments

• Ze_ricoZe_rico Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-25 07:51
    hello Andre,
    I've found your message (and Tubular's one) as I'm looking for GC864 PCB to test my module (I've the matting 80p molex connector as well).
    Do you still have some spare naked which I can buy somewhere?
    thanks
    Eric
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2013-03-25 12:08
    I had to make a PCB, plus, be careful Telit stopped making a number of those modules, and changed footprint, so make sure you go to their site, email marketing and ask about the EOL dates, then call distros and make sure the parts are available. They like to lie about stuff. Be CAREFUL building the module into a product.

Andre'
  • macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 354
    edited 2013-03-26 06:10
    AndreL wrote: »
    Ken and others might have mentioned we are working on a GSM/SMS module. The initial design was done with a Telit GM862-QUAD, but Telit has notified me that they are planning to EOL this part next year, so I am going to do a re-design with the new GC864-SIM-V2. Attached is a pic of the GM862 version prototype I have been soldering together. The design is powered by USB or external uController interface and you can communicate via USB or uController. Also, there is a 512K-1MB flash on the PCB to store local information and logging data so it stays with the unit. Eventhough SIM cards have memory there isn't a lot, so this is a nice feature, so that as you change SIM cards you can have information or a database that your microcontroller can read if need be. This version is just a slave like the Sparkfun versions, but if it sells well then I think we will do another version with a Prop on board, more IO, DA, AD, servo and motor control, maybe even relays for AC switching. I was in the meat of finishing when the news from Telit about ending the life of the GM862 series came, so instead of continuing this design, I have to redesign the mechanical layout of the PCB, change some of the design to support the new control signals and IO pins, and rip this entire route up which really is too bad since the auto router couldn't even remotely route this board and like many (especially anything high speed or RF), you have to do it yourself. So, we would have been in BETA this month if I didn't have to change the design, but I figure a good 40-80 hours to change the module, redesign the system, re-route the whole thing and get back to where I am right now. But, this will be better in the end rather than going with the older GM862, eventhough, I really love that series, its reliable, works great, etc. But, Telit believes that they need to remove it from their manufacturing portfolio and keep making things smaller. Andre'
    Andre, Well done, such a module is long overdue. Please make sure that you have an simple external pin comms option as well as the internal (USB?) comms method. Please provide a comprehensive datasheet.
  • Ze_ricoZe_rico Posts: 3
    edited 2013-03-27 02:24
    AndreL wrote: »
    I had to make a PCB, plus, be careful Telit stopped making a number of those modules, and changed footprint, so make sure you go to their site, email marketing and ask about the EOL dates, then call distros and make sure the parts are available. They like to lie about stuff. Be CAREFUL building the module into a product.

Andre'
    thanks Andre,
    actually my module is a "quite" new one as it's a CG864-QUAD-V2

the matting connector is still the molex 80pin and Telit is saying their modules keep backward compatibility with previous (same in range) references .

cheers
    Eric