Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
board of education .. cpu chip get really hot — Parallax Forums

board of education .. cpu chip get really hot

BadgerBadger Posts: 184
edited 2010-10-07 14:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hello

Hey when I plug in my boe the software cant detect the board and the cpu gets really hot. can someone give me some advice as how to save my boe. I dont want to have to buy a new chip if i can get out of it.

Badger

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-05 11:06
    One of several things may have happened:

1) You've connected the power supply backwards somehow

2) The CPU chip is already damaged from something

3) There may be a short circuit somewhere on the board

More information is needed ...

How are you powering the BOE?

What else is connected to the Stamp?

What happened between when the BOE and Stamp worked properly and now?
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2010-10-05 11:13
    Mike

was using the power supply for the hydra.

nothing was connected to it.

it worked last fall .. I stored it in a static bag in one of my storage boxes .. it has anti static foam on the inside and such. I got it out for the first time the other day and it did not work. maybe i did something last fall or something all i know is the big black chip gets hot. just thought i would ask anyway.. most likely nothing can be done except replace it .. oh by the way i tested it on a extra boe after it heated up that i found on a yard sale .. heheh figure that one

Badger

ps
    thanks Mike for getting back to me
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-10-05 21:16
    Badger,

Please contact our tech support in the morning 916 624 8333 - they'll verify that the BS2 is actually damaged by walking you through a few more troubleshooting efforts. They may have a few more ideas beyond those considered by Mike.

Tell them I sent you and that I promised a replacement BS2 to be cross-shipped while we wait for yours to be returned to us if we determine the BS2 is damaged.

We're only one day into your problem but that's enough wasted time. Let's get your hardware working again.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    edited 2010-10-06 14:10
    Kin

Due to appointments and father in law in hospital i did not get your message until late will contact them on the 7th. Hey thanks a lot.

Phil
    edited 2010-10-07 07:47
    Ken

Sales will not do the cross ship. They say it is over the thirty days and i need to send this one back first. can you give me some help here.. as a reminder I am Philip king

Phil
    Badger
    edited 2010-10-07 07:55
    Did you "name drop"? Remember, Ken said to mention that he said to cross-ship. He is "the boss" after all and gets to make the exceptions to standard policy.
    edited 2010-10-07 08:09
    Mike

can we take this off the main board.. i have sent you a couple private posts if you dont mind... i miss read your post the first time so i had to send 2 hehe sorry lots going on right now

badger
    edited 2010-10-07 08:28
    Actually, this is very important to have on the public forums. Other people may read this and need to know how to deal with similar problems.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-10-07 14:05
    Badger wrote: »
    Ken

Sales will not do the cross ship. They say it is over the thirty days and i need to send this one back first. can you give me some help here.. as a reminder I am Philip king

Phil
    Badger

My staff has had to realign me on this particular situation for reasons I'll not share on the forums.

Normally, a cross-ship or exception to the rules would be acceptable.

Ken Gracey