Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC Stamp software cannot detect BS2 — Parallax Forums

BASIC Stamp software cannot detect BS2

TrevorInFLTrevorInFL Posts: 2
edited 2010-10-05 20:35 in BASIC Stamp
I have a basic stamp 2 on a board of education rev B (purchased 2002 but not used in many years), trying to connect it to a computer for the first time to program it.

As PCs rarely have a serial port any more, I purchased the IOGEAR HBS301 Wireless Bluetooth Serial Adapter. I successfully paired it to the PC and plugged it into the board. PC = Gateway desktop with Windows 7 64 bit.

The bs2 had been programmed before. I opened a serial port terminal on the computer (putty, com3 9600) and it immediately began outputting strings of debug text that had been programmed into the bs2 years ago. The Debug Terminal of the Basic Stamp Editor software also shows this debug output.

However, when I open the Basic Stamp Editor v2.5, it does not detect the basic stamp: COM3 Device Type: (empty) Version (empty) Loopback: No Echo: No

I also tried a brand new, unprogrammed bs2 with the same result.

Therefore I am stuck not being able to program the bs2. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the serial connection is bluetooth. Could there be some kind of flow control that is not getting through the bluetooth? Has anyone else gotten this to work? If I buy a USB-to-serial adapter, will it fix my problem, or might it suffer from the same issue? Is this a case where I actually need a null modem cable?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Trevor

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-05 09:48
    You can't use a wireless link for programming. As you've seen, you can use it for data, but programming is very timing sensitive and there are hidden delays in WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. links that prevent Stamp identification or program downloading. You'll need a wired USB to serial adapter and not all of them will work for programming either. Some lack proper implementation of some of the RS232 control lines. I recommend the adapters (like this) made by Parallax that use the FTDI chip.
  • TrevorInFLTrevorInFL Posts: 2
    edited 2010-10-05 20:35
    Mike,

Thank you very much for your quick and thorough response, including the recommendation on an adapter that works (one that doesn't can be very frustrating). I have ordered your recommended part and can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks again.

Trevor