Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Adding accelerometer, gyroscope, and wireless transceiver to golf club — Parallax Forums

Adding accelerometer, gyroscope, and wireless transceiver to golf club

nathan88nathan88 Posts: 4
edited 2010-10-06 11:36 in Accessories
Greetings.

I am in the initial phase of planning a project to install an accelerometer, gyroscope, and wireless transceiver to a golf club. The overall idea of this project is to transmit the acceleration and yaw data to my basic stamp through a wireless transceiver. Based off this data, I would like to generate a graphical representation of the golf ball's trajectory as my output (including distance traveled, peak velocity, etc.).

Does anyone have suggestions as to what components would work best?

I am currently looking at using a Hitachi H48C Tri-Axis Accelerometer Module,
a LISY300 Gyroscope Module, and a 433 MHz RF Transceiver.

What additional components are required for this application?

I am new to the micro controller/microprocessor community, so any suggestions/advice is welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2010-10-01 21:13
    A quick Google search showed golf swings peak out at over 2000 degrees/sec, well beyond the LISY300's capability.

John Abshier
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-10-01 21:20
    nathan88 wrote: »
    ....I would like to generate a graphical representation of the golf ball's trajectory as my output (including distance traveled, peak velocity, etc.). ...

Welcome to the forums.

First, I'm a little confused. Are you wanting to put a sensor in the golf club or in the golf ball?

If you're intending on cramming all of those chips into a golf ball, I'm concerned that your golf ball would have elastic and flight characteristics that are unrelated to normal golf balls.

Your biggest drawback might be the speed at which you must acquire data. Do you have any idea how long it takes to transfer energy from a club to a ball? I'm just guessing milliseconds, so your analog-to-digital converters would have to be pretty fast to catch the details of the shock. If you can stand to measure the golf swing via an array of photodiodes, you might be able to calculate how far the ball would go, maybe even in what direction, without integrating all these gyros, etc.
  • nathan88nathan88 Posts: 4
    edited 2010-10-01 21:44
    I am intending to install these components on the golf club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DjQM9j1SkM

That is a demo video from Freescale that has completed a similar project.

I would be recording the data for an approach of chip shot - not for a full swing such as a drive. Ideally, I would like to mount the microprocessor on a pitching wedge.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-10-03 20:46
    I'm guessing it's possible, considering that application is going up to only 6g's and not capturing shock levels. I would consider the Propeller chip. Would you like to move this question to the Propeller forum and see what people have to say about it there?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2010-10-06 11:36
    http://videosift.com/video/Golf-ball-deformation-at-70-000-fps?loadcomm=1

Slow load, but incredible golf ball deformation slow-mo video. Who knew?