Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
external powers supplies and relays — Parallax Forums

external powers supplies and relays

coldspringscoldsprings Posts: 14
edited 2010-09-30 06:46 in BASIC Stamp
Hello
I'm new around here and also new to the stamp plc. I am working on a project where I am using relays to activate AC componants. Unfortunately I am having difficulty with having the stamp plc actuating the relays. I have an additional 12V 1.2A power supply hooked to Dout V+ and my relay is connected to Dout1. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-09-27 12:59
    You don't give a connection diagram or your program, but the first thing to check is to make sure you've got the relay power supply connected to Dout -/gnd as well as to Dout+.

+12 to Dout+, 0v to Dout-, one relay connection to Dout1, the other relay connection to Dout-. See the plc manual.

Is your program able to turn on an output?
  • coldspringscoldsprings Posts: 14
    edited 2010-09-28 04:23
    the LED indicators light up in propper sequence. I tested the relay and it works as advertised.
    edited 2010-09-28 06:37
    I don't think i'm setting up the power supply correctly. It only has V- and V+, no ground terminal, so I set up a floating ground. I wired V+ to the DoutV+ and V- to the floating ground. 1 relay coil connection is wired to Dout1 and the other coil connection is wired to the floating ground.
    edited 2010-09-28 07:48
    I don't think i'm setting up the power supply correctly. It only has V- and V+, no ground terminal, so I set up a floating ground. I wired V+ to the DoutV+ and V- to the floating ground. 1 relay coil connection is wired to Dout1 and the other coil connection is wired to the floating ground.
    I have the power supply setup correctly, The fault was in my programming. Now I need my current to drive the relay into actuation. I hear the relay click and see the armiture "flinch" but the contacts don't budge.
    edited 2010-09-30 06:46
    I have the power supply setup correctly, The fault was in my programming. Now I need my current to drive the relay into actuation. I hear the relay click and see the armiture "flinch" but the contacts don't budge.

I couldn't produce enough current to drive the relays, so I switched to solid state relays and everything works. Thank you Stamptrol for the input/help