Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
multidirectional measurement using ping sensor — Parallax Forums

multidirectional measurement using ping sensor

bacibaci Posts: 1
edited 2010-09-23 04:47 in Accessories
HI all
I am trying to measure distance using the ping sensor in different directions(one direction at a time,repeititions) at 45 degree from each other, need your advice on the following:
i) will it work? discrete measurement programming code?
ii)single data output from the different directions(eight directions)
iii)advice on addtional components or programming would be much appreciated!:confused:

Comments

• schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2010-09-23 04:47
    On the product page for the Ping sensor, there is a video showing the sensor mounted on a servo (on a BOE Bot). The servo is rotated to get data in different directions. If you look at the example code, you should be able to get some ideas (I haven't looked at it).

Mounting sensors like this on top of a servo is pretty common. If I understand correctly, you want to scan a full 360 degrees. Unfortunately, most servos will only rotate through a range of about 180 degrees (RC applications typically limit this to only 90 degrees). You can find servos that will rotate further (typically winch servos for sailboats) or purchase/build gear trains that will allow a full 360 degrees of rotation.

One other approach is to mount two Pings back to back on top of the servo. You will then be able to measure in all 8 directions that you are looking for (and the servo will only need to be moved to 4 locations).