Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Best way to store memory? plus other questions. — Parallax Forums

Best way to store memory? plus other questions.

ShanePShaneP Posts: 12
edited 2010-09-22 23:02 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I am a basic stamp hobbyist (though now I mainly do javascript and php) and started hitting walls on a new program.
Thanks will be given for the lowest cost solution.

How to store memory (code, variables, binary, you name it)

where to get good ol' pushbuttons (ones that will go right into the breadboard and are nice and small)

LED Light array? (many lights, not so many pins)

Way to measure battery within stamp?

Thanks,
Shane

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-22 17:54
    You need to be more specific when asking your questions. What do you mean by "store memory"? Can you give examples of what you want to do?

There are a variety of vendors of electronics components that allow small orders over the internet. Some of them include SparkFun, Jameco, DigiKey, and Mouser. They carry pushbuttons and LEDs as well as lots of other stuff. Parallax has a few items as well.

Look here under "app-notes" for a description of how to measure battery voltage using the RCTIME statement.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-09-22 17:57
    ShaneP wrote: »
    Hi, I am a basic stamp hobbyist (though now I mainly do javascript and php) and started hitting walls on a new program.
    Thanks will be given for the lowest cost solution.

How to store memory (code, variables, binary, you name it)

where to get good ol' pushbuttons (ones that will go right into the breadboard and are nice and small)

LED Light array? (many lights, not so many pins)

Way to measure battery within stamp?

Thanks,
    Shane
    '
    I store my code in the eeprom.This code will only last for about 100-years according the a manufacture of the eeprom.
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-09-22 20:34
    What kind of Stamp are you using? Certain stamps do not support I2C. If you have a fancier Stamp then i would suggest using a EEPROM....Depending on your model you actually have extra EEPROM built into the stamp.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-22 20:47
    Ravenkallen,
    All Stamps can use I2C EEPROMs. Some of them have built-in I2C support statements (BS2p series) while the others have to use subroutines to "bit-bang" the I/O pins used. There's a Nuts and Volts Column that covers this topic.
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-09-22 21:10
    @Mike...Yes, exactly. I should have mentioned that as well...The bit banged code is a little harder to get used to though. Plus, it does take up some program space. Check out this link.

http://www.lennard.net.nz/electronics/i2c.html
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-22 23:02
    Great link, Ravenkallen. Thanks!