Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Professional dev board — Parallax Forums

Professional dev board

john hautonjohn hauton Posts: 14
edited 2010-09-25 08:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I'm fortunate enough to own parallaxes stamp professional development board. One question. The board I have is usb, all the available boards now appear to be rs232. Was (is) there a problem with the usb version?

Thanks & regards John

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-22 09:56
    No

Parallax tends to drop products when the sales volume drops too low to support the product. The serial version of the PDB is the more universal version of the product since you can add a USB to serial adapter inexpensively to it to get the same functionality as the USB version of the PDB.

Keep in mind that the PDB is an older product. Most of the newer Propeller-based products are designed as USB-only or use a PropPlug for USB.
  • john hautonjohn hauton Posts: 14
    edited 2010-09-22 10:03
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the speedy reply, and thanks for setting my mind at ease. I like these boards so much, I think I'll order another, although serial...

Thanks again....regards John
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2010-09-22 14:42
    Had the USB version for years and no probs even though sometimes I was rough with it!

Ken
  • john hautonjohn hauton Posts: 14
    edited 2010-09-25 08:19
    Hi, Ken thanks for that. I always get bothered when things are suddenly discontinued. Especially when you would think the usb one would be more popular.

regards john