Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Recording Logic Data — Parallax Forums

Recording Logic Data

everesteverest Posts: 141
edited 2010-09-23 01:51 in Accessories
Hi Folks,

So I'm LOVING my propscope. Only since I've been able to see bits on the screen have I really "gotten it" with regards to I2C, SMBus, etc. Awesome!

One challenge I do have though, is that I have some circuits where I'm pumping out streams of bytes, and if I squeeze the scale enough to see the individual bits, I lose the beginning portions of the data exchanges.

Is there some way to record a whole series or communications? I just can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated, even a reference to the user's manual :)

-Jeff

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-09-19 04:15
    I assumed that's what you were looking for in your other thread about I2C decoding. In particular, look at the screen shots that DNALOR posted, near the bottom of that thread. Isn't that what you're asking for here? Or are you talking about even longer strings of data?
  • everesteverest Posts: 141
    edited 2010-09-19 07:49
    Well, I was more thinking of decoding as actually displaying the bit/byte data on the screen in some capacity, i.e. in straight binary, hex, preferably either/both.

Right now the Propscope does a great job of capturing the high/low state of the data pins in the logic analyzer. But I haven't found a way to capture a string of say 8 bytes and still have the data be of sufficient resolution to view the actual bits. So really the question is:

How can I grab 10 seconds worth of logic data, and still have the resolution to dive into the individual bytes?

-Jeff
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2010-09-23 01:51
    Hi Jeff,
    One thing that may help now is that the PropScope captures 2 screens of data and allows you to set the horizontal trigger to wherever you want- even at the end of the sample time. You can capture your data, then hit "stop", and with the mouse scroll the data back and forth- even change timescales.

I'm slowly working on decoding serial protocols- that will allow much more...
    Hanno