Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BYO Board & Cable — Parallax Forums

BYO Board & Cable

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2011-08-22 23:23 in BASIC Stamp
At the risk of stating the obvious, I want to share my thoughts & methods about building your own PC board & cable for a handwired Stamp project. I have seen several posts asking about this. Using premade boards with a 9-pin serial cable connector works fine, but it's quite easy to "roll your own" board to save dollars and board space. The BS2 family is much less finnicky and more stable than some other microcontrollers which require lots of extra support components mounted on the board. I start with an empty PC board (I use a "Shack" board, such as 276-158), solder a 24 pin socket to it. Then I add a 4-pin male header to pins 1-4; a 7805 regulator and 100 uF filter cap to pin 21 (Vdd, +5) and pin 23 (Vss, ground) and I'm done except for my I/O connections.

I cut a serial cable and attached a 4-pin female header to it, and seperately connected cable wires to DB9 pins 6 & 7 for auto port detection. A very compact connection taking minimum real estate on the board.

Stamp pin 1 to DB9 pin 2
Stamp pin 2 to DB9 pin 3
Stamp pin 3 to DB9 pin 4
Stamp pin 4 to DB9 pin 5

Not rocket science, but useful file info.
816 x 612 - 98K
510 x 660 - 77K
770 x 612 - 118K

Comments

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2010-09-16 00:31
    ...it's always good to be reminded of the basics.

Thanks,

DJ
  • APSpijkermanAPSpijkerman Posts: 32
    edited 2010-09-16 02:58
    Heh, that is smart.
    I noticed that i too made a whole set of little adapter cables for circuit boards
    and breadboards over the years, but i
    thought that the reset line should have the couple of pulsforming capacitor.
    But i don't see anything on the cable or the circuit board.

I have here a photo with some adapters that include capacitors:
    http://apsdev.com/stamp/cap.jpg
    http://apsdev.com/stamp/dscf485b.jpg

The female adapter is very usefull as you only need to have
    4 header pins on a board to program a basic or javelin stamp:
    http://apsdev.com/p2podmockup/dscf0008s.jpg
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2010-09-17 21:47
    erco wrote: »
    At the risk of stating the obvious, I want to share my thoughts & methods about building your own PC board & cable for a handwired Stamp project. I have seen several posts asking about this. Using premade boards with a 9-pin serial cable connector works fine, but it's quite easy to "roll your own" board to save dollars and board space. The BS2 family is much less finnicky and more stable than some other microcontrollers which require lots of extra support components mounted on the board. I start with an empty PC board (I use a "Shack" board, such as 276-158), solder a 24 pin socket to it. Then I add a 4-pin male header to pins 1-4; a 7805 regulator and 100 uF filter cap to pin 21 (Vdd, +5) and pin 23 (Vss, ground) and I'm done except for my I/O connections.

I cut a serial cable and attached a 4-pin female header to it, and seperately connected cable wires to DB9 pins 6 & 7 for auto port detection. A very compact connection taking minimum real estate on the board.

Stamp pin 1 to DB9 pin 2
    Stamp pin 2 to DB9 pin 3
    Stamp pin 3 to DB9 pin 4
    Stamp pin 4 to DB9 pin 5

Not rocket science, but useful file info.

Hello!
    Exactly what specie of BS2 devices is that fellow? Is it the basic BS2 unit? Or the one who's next in line? You mention using a 24Pin DIP socket, and, ah, that's the first one up.

For me personally I would use a 24Pin DIP socket WW* :smilewinkgrin:one instead, and follow the rest of your guides. Of course since I already have an external power supply who can deliver straight 5v at the predictables typically used by an ordinary computer, the PS end can be deleted. As for the serial stuff, I already have a few already attached to connectors, in this case they are along the lines of the ones used by the older computers to attach to their serial ports.

Oh and for the I/O mount, I'd add a 16Pin DIP socket WW* :smilewinkgrin:one and add the one I use also for my Stamp1 board.

As for boards, I have here most of the ones RS makes except the number you quoted.
    ----
    WW* = Wire Wrapped. :smilewinkgrin:
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2010-09-17 22:55
    good stuff, erco! Since this is a 2e device, dare we guess that this board destined for a battery powered gizmo? what are planning to drive with those relays?

And a cheerful congrats for you and your scope win today!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-18 08:07
    Yep, that's a BS2E on the relay board that I used in my Retrobot: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=118861

I made that cable for the 1995 Trinity Firefighting robot contest, so I've been using it for 15+ years now. Still going strong!

@Buck: Nice to hear someone still likes wirewrapping! I still like point to point soldering. Keeps me honest.

@Tink: Thanks, I can use this 'scope!
  • CampeckCampeck Posts: 111
    edited 2010-09-18 17:53
    nice. Can we get a schematic?
    edited 2010-09-19 07:43
    BS2 & cable schematic at http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/schem/BS2revJSchematic.pdf

Two capacitors shown in this diagram, but my cable does not have them. Might be for necessary for certain stamps; I have never had any problems with BS2, BS2E, and BS2SX.
    edited 2010-09-19 07:46
    A lot of "fried & broken board" posts out there suddenly. Parallax, you may need to partner with Hallmark and create a "Stamp Appreciation" week to undo the damage...
  • CalMarinerCalMariner Posts: 64
    edited 2011-08-22 21:14
    Where do you get the female headers? Are they crimp-on?
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,181
    edited 2011-08-22 21:23
    CalMariner wrote: »
    Where do you get the female headers? Are they crimp-on?

Hello!
    No they are not. They are the solder cup type, and pre-wired. They were originally used by the older PC community to bring the ports from the motherboard to the case.
  • CalMarinerCalMariner Posts: 64
    edited 2011-08-22 23:23
    Yeah, I remember seeing them. I am actually interested in using them for my application. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133886-Six-Digits-of-Doom
    I need to quickly and reliably connect wires from switches, etc... to my mother board.