Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need a water sensor — Parallax Forums

Need a water sensor

w4fejw4fej Posts: 264
edited 2010-09-27 07:00 in Accessories
In my R/C submarine project I want to be able to detect the presence of ANY water in the water tight compartment (WTC) and interface it to a Propeller. Don't need to know anything other than I've got some..

Any suggestions??

Mike B. - W4FEJ

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-09-14 10:39
    Pressurizing it and detecting any loss of pressure is probably easier than detecting water.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2010-09-14 11:45
    Leon wrote: »
    Pressurizing it and detecting any loss of pressure is probably easier than detecting water.

Depending on how deep you dive, this could be problematic. 35 feet is about one atmosphere (15 PSI) so if you don't presurize the compartment higher than the water pressure of whatever depth you're at, a leak could cause an actual increase in pressure if you are "at depth", or a decrease in pressure if you are near the surface.

Assuming you won't be doing loop the loops or barrel rolls with your sub, my thought would be to make a depression in the bottom of the WTC, have a couple of bare wires close, but not touching, and look for a change in capacitance. You could probably even do this with a small circuit board using a couple of closely spaced traces.

If you could tolerate some standing water, you may also be able to get by with a temperature sensor, assuming that the water would be cooler than the air in the WTC. (I'm from Wisconsin, and this would almost always be the case here...)

John R.
    edited 2010-09-14 11:49
    w4fej wrote: »
    In my R/C submarine project ...

Separate question back at you:

What do you use for an antenna, and how deep can you dive (and keep control of the sub)?

John R.
  • w4fejw4fej Posts: 264
    edited 2010-09-14 12:15
    John R. wrote: »
    Separate question back at you:

What do you use for an antenna, and how deep can you dive (and keep control of the sub)?

John R.

Hi John.

The antenna will be a 1/4 wave vertical on the boat and probably something with gain on the control unit. The transmitter will be capable of up to 5 watts. The depth won't be much more than periscope depth. This isn't a reasearch vessel or anything, just a fun project I have been working on for several years. I re-did the whole electronics setup coming from the BS2P40 to the Propeller when I stumbled on to it. Just got back from a sheet metal shop to have the front and rear panels made.

I will be using 430 Mhz amateur band. The guys now using "regular" R/C gear have no problem controlling the boats down to 10 - 15 feet with something like 50 miliwatts on 72 - 75 mhz. Depends on the water. Salt water is the worst, pool water is better and fresh water the best.

I was hoping to find a sensor that was 5VDC or maybe 3.3VDC to just say HI, water, Low now water. Don't need temp, pressure or any of that. In fact I was going to install two sensors, one at the low point in the WTC and another just beblow the circuit board height. If the first one goes off then surface and head for shore. If the second one goes off, emergency blow all tanks and TRY to get to shore, other wise, go swiming!!

Mike B.
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2010-09-14 12:24
    To expand on Johns' suggestion, run just enough current through the thermistor to cause enough self heating to bring it well above the ambient temp inside the sub but not in direct contact with the hull. That will ensure that the water will always lower the temp.

Rick
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-09-14 12:27
  • SeariderSearider Posts: 290
    edited 2010-09-14 13:33
    There are a number of moister sensors designed for to monitor plants to know when to water them. They must be fairly sensitive and inexpensive.
    edited 2010-09-15 06:28
    I was hoping to find a sensor that was 5VDC or maybe 3.3VDC to just say HI, water, Low now water. Don't need temp, pressure or any of that. In fact I was going to install two sensors, one at the low point in the WTC and another just beblow the circuit board height. If the first one goes off then surface and head for shore. If the second one goes off, emergency blow all tanks and TRY to get to shore, other wise, go swiming!!

Mike B.

Mike;

Thanks for the info on controls.

The concept of measuring capacitance (measuring R/C time) with either bare wires, or a small circuit board with adjacent traces should work off the prop. Look at some of the ADC routines and objects. (Look for something on how to read a "pot", and then substitue a fixes resistor (or trimmer) for the pot, and your two bare wires for the capacitor.

In concept, you set the pin as an output and "charge" the circuit. Then you simultaneously make the pin an input, and time how long before the pin goes low. Using the R/C Time formulas, you can determine the capacitance. In your case, you don't need to do any conversion, just determine what the readings (time) for "dry" and "wet" are, and use that.

Personally, I'd see this as more reliable than a mechanical "float" switch. In small sizes, these are usually done with a pivoting float with a magnet to activate a reed switch.

The plant moisture things I've seen use capacitance and/or resistance changes in the soil similar to the "bare wire" concept I mentioned above.

The suggestions for pressure and temperature were meant as other indirect ways of looking for water. Any type of sensor is going to be using some indirect means to see if water is present. Float switches don't really sense water, they sense mechanical movement of the float. Electronic moisture sensors are measuring the electrical properties of the soil (capacitance and/or resistance).

John R.
    edited 2010-09-15 08:32
    I found this little guy after rooting around the web, looks like it might be just the ticket..

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-48-2800-water-sensor-switch.aspx

Mike B.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2010-09-15 11:07
    In cold water, expect some internal condensation. You may need to put up with a tiny bit of water no matter what.
    edited 2010-09-15 12:38
    I found this little guy after rooting around the web, looks like it might be just the ticket..

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-48-2800-water-sensor-switch.aspx

Mike B.

For $15 you're getting my two bare wires, plus the electronics to convert it to a 5 VDC on/off signal, along with some bulky packaging.
    Water Sensor is triggered by a mosture bridge across the sensor contact.
    For virtually $0.00 to $0.010 you could make the same thing on an open prop pin and have the prop do the monitoring.

In additon to the money (not all that much), you'd also save space.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to work something up this weekend. I'm at work now, and have a tight schedule this week.

John R.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2010-09-15 13:19
    FWIW, Harbor Fright (yuk) has a $10 water alarm that works well. Not appropriate for your sub app, but since we were talking about ready to go solutions for water detection... I have one in our washer drain pipe and it's worth its weight in gold.

http://www.harborfreight.com/water-overflow-alarm-92334.html

Get one of these for $3 while you're there...

http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html
    edited 2010-09-15 13:20
    For $15 you're getting my two bare wires, plus the electronics to convert it to a 5 VDC on/off signal, along with some bulky packaging.
    Water Sensor is triggered by a mosture bridge across the sensor contact.
    For virtually $0.00 to $0.010 you could make the same thing on an open prop pin and have the prop do the monitoring.

In additon to the money (not all that much), you'd also save space.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to work something up this weekend. I'm at work now, and have a tight schedule this week.

John R.

Sure John, I got nothing against saving money! lol. I also saw something at Lowes today for $12.00 that is battery powered that worked the same way, bridge across the contacts..

Mike B.
    edited 2010-09-15 14:10
    I need to work this out for my own uses, so I'll try like heck to get it working over the weekend and report back.

John R.
    edited 2010-09-16 08:12
    I need to work this out for my own uses, so I'll try like heck to get it working over the weekend and report back.

John R.

Good deal John, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.. Thanks again. In the mean time, here is a old pix of the hull in it's early stages. This will simply be a form that gets glassed over and then the hull gets cut apart and the foam removed. It is still in three parts if you look closely. Disregard the big goof standing next to it....oh, ... wait, ... that's me... :smhair:

Mike B.
    1280 x 960 - 659K
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-09-16 13:46
    In my R/C submarine project I want to be able to detect the presence of ANY water in the water tight compartment (WTC) and interface it to a Propeller....

Okay, this is admittedly an asinine idea, but consider it the beginning of a brainstorming session, perhaps get you thinking along less traditional lines:

Powderpuff the inside of your sub with a small amount of calcium carbide.
    If any water touches it, it produces acetylene gas.
    Test out one of Parallax's various hydrocarbon sensors to see if it will trigger on small amounts of acetylene gas. (Maybe try out the alcohol/ethylene sensor, for example.)
    If effect, you will have a water sniffer.
    Use too much calcium carbide, however, and you might have yourself an ocean-going acetylene bomb.
    In any case, this is probably not the best idea in the world, but it might start you thinking.
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-09-19 11:20
    here is something that may intrest you, i use this on my 1-wire weather station and it holds up great to the elements. It is a leaf wetness sensor, although it is designed to be used with the moisture meter found at the bottom of the page, you could use it as the resistor in an r/c circuit as described above to have the prop handle the sensing of water...

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1544

lws1-r2-b.jpg
    edited 2010-09-21 11:34
    I was not able to get into the lab over the weekend to do some experimentation. I'm still planning on it, just not sure what the timing is. The freaking day job is driving me crazy...

The "leaf" sensor is a nice way of increasing the senstivity/capacatance of the sensor. It also can work with just a few drops hitting the leaf, it doesn't need to be submerged.

The question becomes, what do we really need in terms of sensor size/capacatance in order to be able to minitor it with the Prop...

John R.
    edited 2010-09-22 18:28
    I was not able to get into the lab over the weekend to do some experimentation. I'm still planning on it, just not sure what the timing is. The freaking day job is driving me crazy...

The "leaf" sensor is a nice way of increasing the senstivity/capacatance of the sensor. It also can work with just a few drops hitting the leaf, it doesn't need to be submerged.

The question becomes, what do we really need in terms of sensor size/capacatance in order to be able to minitor it with the Prop...

John R.

No problem on the time John, the need is a way off yet. Still assembling the new control unit. Gonna try and "silk screen" the front panel when I get the nerve. Going to try and see if I can transfer the front panel graphic to a Tee shirt transfer and then to the aluminum/painter front panel. It will be really great if this works..

I like the looks of the leaf sensor. The WTC will be plastic and the sensor could lie face down on the "floor". Any moisture should be detected. The price is right as well.

I want to know right away if there is anything other than dry air in the WTC. If there is that means trouble and I want the boat on the roof like NOW!

Mike B.
  • bdickensbdickens Posts: 110
    edited 2010-09-27 07:00
    Humidity ?

I was working on a project where I accidentally measured the humidity inside a closed tube (not the goal and made my test runs curious) . I wonder if you could use a humidity sensor to tell if you were picking up water. As it sloshes, it should raise the humidity. You might have to temperature compensate.

Just a thought. ROVs are on my "2 year" project list so keep those projects moving.