Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can the PING ULTRASONIC DISTANCE SENSOR BE USED OUTDOORS? — Parallax Forums

Can the PING ULTRASONIC DISTANCE SENSOR BE USED OUTDOORS?

po2lepo2le Posts: 76
edited 2010-11-03 03:06 in Accessories
For instance, on the outside wall of an RV (camper, travel trailer).
When I turn sharp corners I need to know how close my RV side is to an object, such as a large garbage dumptser. I pull the camper with a truck, and have had holes poked in the side of the camper by close objects while making a sharp turn.

Can the PING ULTRASONIC DISTANCE SENSOR (#28015) be installed on the outside wall of an RV (camper)?

Thank you
po2le

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-09-13 12:24
    The ping))) needs to be protected from the elements and most ways of doing that would render it inoperative. http://www.maxbotix.com/MaxbotixHome.html
  • po2lepo2le Posts: 76
    edited 2010-09-13 22:06
    Franklin wrote: »
    The ping))) needs to be protected from the elements and most ways of doing that would render it inoperative. http://www.maxbotix.com/MaxbotixHome.html

Is there any kind of sensor that could be used for the purpose I mentioned?

Your address led me to a company that has a large selection of ultasonic sensors.

po2le
  • bdickensbdickens Posts: 110
    edited 2010-09-14 05:12
    I thought Parallax had a version that was weather protected ? I can't find it but I remember something from way back. You might search the threads. I thought it was rain related and in the Sensor section, but I could not find it.

Maybe seeing how they did it would help.

Thanks
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-09-14 18:42
    Your address led me to a company that has a large selection of ultasonic sensors.
    That is where I was sending you. You were asking about the ping outside and I pointed you to a site that has a water resistant US sensor. What was confusing about that?
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2010-09-15 10:13
    bdickens wrote: »
    I thought Parallax had a version that was weather protected ?

Yes, we were working on a weather resistant Ping))) a while back, but some priorities had to be changed if memory serves. I asked around a bit and nobody is actively working on it for now.

As for installing the ping on a camper, not a bad idea :). You might be able to make some sort of cover for the sensor that does not obstruct the transducers, yet shields them from rain/bug splats. You might even consider designing things so that you could easily remove the ping while you're not driving?
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2010-11-03 03:06
    Will the new PING))) sensor be able to work with 3.3v?
    I am working on a battery powered propeller board now and that board has only 3.3v supply?
    How now?