Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Digital Speedometer — Parallax Forums

Digital Speedometer

fendermanfenderman Posts: 4
edited 2010-12-09 16:07 in BASIC Stamp
As the title suggests, I am building a digital speedometer to go in my car to work alongside the stock speedometer. The stock speedometer is electronically driven with pulses sent from the car's computer. I plan to tie into this wire (the VSS wire) to acquire the speed data.

I think I have the programming part basically worked out, but I want to know what the best way is to power the Stamp from the car's electrical system since they are notorious for being noisy. I know voltage regulators are popular but wondered if there was a more efficient way to power the circuit (the links I've come across around here are dead). I'd really like to use a separate power supply if I could, but if I understand circuits correctly this would cause the VSS signal to be unreadable.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Jeremy

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-09-11 04:44
    Hi Jeremy,

I've done many Stamp installations on mobile equipment and powering the Stamp is not that tricky.
    For low current projects (less than 0.5 amp), a standard 7805 regulator, properly mounted and using the recommended capacitors will work fine.
    For higher current, go with a switching regulator like the PT5101N or it's brothers. Again, use the recommended capacitors on the input and output.
    Be sure to show us pictures of the finished project!
    Cheers,
  • fendermanfenderman Posts: 4
    edited 2010-09-11 05:46
    Thanks, Tom. :)
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-09-11 05:58
    I am not sure what is being contemplated here. A BasicStamp has its own 5V regulator on-board. If you're doing O-E-M, it's another matter.
    The BoE has a 3-terminal regulator, but that 5V (V_dd) is for the externals, it doesn't run the BS2.

PE - It's unusual that a signal lead would be labelled "VSS", but not unimaginable, nothing much would surprise me anymore. Around here V_ss is what "we" call Ground (GND, Common.)
    edited 2010-09-11 07:21
    VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's labeled VSS in my car's wiring diagram. Don't worry- I am aware of the differences between the two and will be sure not to get them mixed up.

EDIT: I just got a BoE recently. The other programmed parts I've dealt with are a simple IC that is either programmed once installed into the circuit or programmed in a programmer connected to the computer and then installed on the board. I've never seen a programmed part come already installed on a board (with the exception of the BoE which I just took to be something that was set up for easy learning), so please forgive my ignorance.
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-09-13 09:49
    The BOE isn't really the programmer either..... The Microcontroller is programmed right on the IC via serial..... Pretty slick eh?

The BOE is more of a prototyping platform where everything is available for convenience. You can actually remove the micro and power it all by itself if you want.... either 5V or 6-12V on two separate pins.

it sounds like a cool project. what kind of display are you using ??
    edited 2010-12-09 16:07
    Sorry for the long absence-
    I am using a set of 3 seven segment displays. However, unlike most seven segment displays these are vintage units that use bulbs instead of an evenly lit segment so you get a cool looking glow that is bright in the center and then fades at the edges. I am going to replace the incandescent bulbs with LEDs so that I can drive each segment directly from each output pin and then I am going to multiplex the digits for both current and real estate conservation.
    Thank you for the input- we've had some other priority things pop up so I haven't had time to play with the STAMP recently but I will try to keep you all updated as things progress.