Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID trouble — Parallax Forums

RFID trouble

logan996logan996 Posts: 281
edited 2010-09-13 09:40 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I haven't used the BS2 in a while but just made a deal with ravenkallen and got a RFID in it. I'm trying it on a board that i don't think is broken (BOE) with a 4 AA battery supply and when i hook up the RFID reader the power light turns off, it cant supply enough power to the RFID reader. The RFID reader is new and i just un-packaged it and i don't know why it isn't working, i used the RFID basic program pin out and it just seems screwed, or am i making a stupid mistake? Any help?

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-09-10 20:50
    With the RFID disconnected, can you download a program to the BoE/Stamp? (Is this the one from the Pololu experiment?)
    edited 2010-09-11 05:45
    I asked about the programmability in an effort to determine the viability of your battery pack.
    I cannot vouch for your batteries or your Reader, but attached are a couple of pictures the BoE and the RFID Reader powered on. Not a lot of wires, not much to mess up.
    800 x 600 - 83K
    800 x 600 - 82K
  • logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-09-11 08:54
    Well i just did a real quick debug program (and this is a used BOE from ravenkallen) and it worked, so i don't think it is batteries (also will the power supply for the Prop Demo board work, the one parallax sells) does the RFID reader need resistors?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-09-11 09:31
    Could you show us how you have everything connected.
    edited 2010-09-11 09:41
    vcc connected to vss. /enable connected to pin 0. sout connected 1. gnd connected to vdd
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-11 11:01
    Ah ... You may have damaged something. Vcc should never be connected to Vss and Vdd should never be connected to ground.

Vcc and Vdd are often used to refer to the same thing, the positive supply voltage. I think the "cc" dates back to bipolar logic when the supply voltage was connected to the transistor's collector. I think that the "dd" came into use with FETs with the FET's drain terminal taking the place of the collector.

Vss and ground are used to refer to the same thing, the ground or negative supply voltage. "ss" refers to "substrate" when you needed a ground connection to the chip's substrate (usually the back of the chip).
    edited 2010-09-11 11:59
    I just cannot understand how it is that one would... I just...

(CPBS, see attachments,... for naught)

PE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKHdhZuIov8
    800 x 600 - 78K
    800 x 600 - 89K
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-09-11 13:45
    When i tried it on the propeller it worked... What color does the LED turn? It should be green when it first starts up.... I will try to breadboard up a propeller/ RFID reader setup and see if i can mimic your results even though you are using a stamp....You said you had 4 AA batteries? That is six volts... You are using the barrel jack for power right? That should make a regulated 5 volts come from the power headers...
    edited 2010-09-11 14:33
    He reverse-voltsed it, I think it's over.

logan996 said: "vcc connected to vss. /enable connected to pin 0. sout connected 1. gnd connected to vdd "
    edited 2010-09-12 09:09
    GOT IT! It turns on (turns green)!!!!! i dont know how but i think that when i listed my pinouts I reversed them as in i DID connect vss to GND and VCC to VDD! somehow it didnt work before but it does now!

EDIT: now i can't upload code when the reader is plugged in and when i plug it in after i upload the code, then it stops working and when i reset it wont even try to talk to the terminal anymore but the reader is fine! the green light is on and when i plug it in midway through the program it will turn red then green!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-12 09:51
    As others have said, you should be able to upload a new program with the RFID reader plugged in. If not, you need to look at how you have the two devices connected and your power source.

The fact that the RFID reader works for others with the BS2 and with the BOE suggests that there's something wrong with your specific setup, perhaps your batteries. It's impossible to tell without further information.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-09-12 16:55
    Are you placing the Tag right up close to the RFID tag reader? with in a inch?
  • timextimex Posts: 21
    edited 2010-09-13 02:59
    How can One increase the strength of the RFID reader to read RFID tags 2 feet away?

Or is there a reader that can do this?

Thanks.
    TIm
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-09-13 09:40
    Nothing from Parallax will do that but you might try Google. You will probably need active tags and high frequency.