Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using IR to control BOEBOT, jus need to know a few things — Parallax Forums

Using IR to control BOEBOT, jus need to know a few things

WolfyWolfy Posts: 14
edited 2010-09-10 07:16 in BASIC Stamp
I recently used the BS2 on a BOEBOT, to create an IR jammer. It worked suprisingly well and was able to jam my TV, Stereo, and DVD remote signals. Only from a few feet away though, but still it proof-of-concept.

Now my next idea is to some how remote control the BS2 using the same signal I was previously jamming; e.g. Use the TV remote to command my BOEBOT. Is this possible, the only hardware at hand right now is a IR transistor, IR LED, and some scattered risistor.

I would like to know if its possible before I start trying code all of this.

PS: oh, and if anyone wants the BS2 code for the IR jammer PM me and I'll be glad to share :) Its common to me to give tid bits of knowledge to gain knowledge, lol

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-09 09:55
    Download the "IR Remote For The BoeBot Robot" tutorial here. It discusses IR remote controls and how to decode (and generate) the signal.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-09 09:57
    Most IR signals will interfere with (jam) each other. Any 2 conflicting IR remote signals will jam a device, it's mostly about signal strength. Direct sunlight or even a strong constant (non-pulsing) IR signal can saturate the IR detector and jam the device.

You can tell where this is headed; yes, you can drive your BoeBot around using an IR remote using the Sony TV protocol. While you are sending a signal from your IR remote, any other non-Sony TV IR devices nearby will likely be "jammed" if someone tries to use another IR remote. But your Boebot will also probably be jammed if it sees their signal.

BTW, most remote controls stop sending if you hold a button down longer than 20 or 30 seconds. Probably to save battery power if you sit on it under a sofa cushion!

Most IR systems use 38 kHz, and there are also some 56 kHz units. I tried some, hoping they would not interfere with each other, but they do at close range and high signal levels.
  • USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
    edited 2010-09-09 16:17
    Wow, that is very interesting, can you/or did you? upload how to do the jammer to completed projects? I would like to test that out myself.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-09-09 19:11
    As erco said
    While you are sending a signal from your IR remote, any other non-Sony TV IR devices nearby will likely be "jammed" if someone tries to use another IR remote
    That's it.
  • WolfyWolfy Posts: 14
    edited 2010-09-10 07:16
    Franklin wrote: »
    As erco said That's it.

Thats the concept alright, but you can jam multiple things nearly at one, by doing things on the ms level, just by changing the frequency that the light pulse has. But to get a better range someone may wish to add a transistor to boost the light pulses.

My next thing to attempt will be to use the boebot as a sorta 555 timer to provide input to a pair of transistors for use an Power Inverter, but thats off topic tho