Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID tags Waterproof??? — Parallax Forums

RFID tags Waterproof???

StevezilaStevezila Posts: 35
edited 2010-09-10 21:03 in BASIC Stamp
Are the RFID tags that Parralax offers waterproof. I have a project that will involve tracking items that are stored in water for days at a time. Will the tags hold up in this environment?

Thanks for the replies!

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-09-08 10:24
    Stevezilla,

We obtain these tags from two different suppliers, one in Norway and another in China.

Could you tell me which specific Parallax part number you're considering using?

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2010-09-08 11:34
    Stevezila,

I received the following response back from our supplier for the 20mm Round Tag (32398), 30 mm Round Tag (32399) and 50 mm Round Tag (28442).

"The World Tag is not waterproof. Depending on how much moisture or water gets inside the tag it will either keep working or come back “alive” after it dried out. If the tag is exposed to freezing temperatures while moisture / water is trapped inside it will bust."

I will be sure to revise the product descriptions to indicate that these are not waterproof.

Still waiting for a reply on the other tags we offer.

Ken Gracey
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-09-08 11:45
    If you only need a handful of tags and can't find any that are waterproof then you could always experiment on one to see if you can add a protective coating. I wonder if this would work?

http://www.plastidip.com/
    edited 2010-09-10 07:59
    Stevezila,

I received confirmation from our other supplier in China that their tags are also not waterproof. As they described it "the tag cannot have taken a shower in the water for days. But, if it drops in the water accidentally and then it is picked up right away, the tag will still work."

This seems to be true of all of our tags.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-09-10 08:18
    To seal the thinner credit card style tags I wonder if you could try laminating them with the clear plastic sheets to seal the cards. If you are just doing a test I suppose you could always try something as simple as a small zip lock back to seal out the water.

Robert
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-09-10 10:38
    I wouldn't expect the World Tags to be fully waterproof since the top is simply a label. I don't see any reason why the 25mm and 50mm white disc RFID tags would not be waterproof however. If they are like the 28141 Rectangle tags, they are overmolded in plastic which seals them completely. On the other hand, the World Tags could probably be sealed easily with something like Thompson's Water Seal, a spray on sealant, or a conformal coating spray.

I'll check to see if I have any of the 25mm or 50mm white tags and throw them in the x-ray to see where the "safe-spot" is to drill a mounting hole so they can be used like the World Tags, yet be waterproof.
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-09-10 15:25
    If you only need a handful of tags and can't find any that are waterproof then you could always experiment on one to see if you can add a protective coating. I wonder if this would work?

http://www.plastidip.com/

i can say that this stuff does work for waterproofing certain things, as long as there isn't too much friction or abrasion on the item coated. i made a ground temperature sensor using 3 strands of 18ga insulated solid core wire with 3 dallas ds18b20's soldered directly to the wire at ground suface level, 4" and 10" intravals, then used the spray version to coat the entire strand. it's still working after 2 years in the ground and being moved twice. i would think it would work fine for this application.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2010-09-10 15:53
    I bought Plastidip at Home Depot to cover exposed spots on the dishwasher rack.

It stands up to the hot water with no problem. Not pretty since the rack is white and the Plastidip is black...
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-09-10 21:03
    casting resin... but, can it take the heat?