Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Two 9V Batteries for power — Parallax Forums

Two 9V Batteries for power

StratusStratus Posts: 12
edited 2010-09-06 09:04 in BASIC Stamp
Basically, how would I use two 9v Batteries to power my Board?

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-09-01 15:18
    Why do you want to use two 9V batteries?
  • StratusStratus Posts: 12
    edited 2010-09-01 18:51
    So the Whole "system" has more mA and therefore lasts longer.
  • ihmechihmech Posts: 179
    edited 2010-09-01 18:59
    Stratus wrote: »
    So the Whole "system" has more mA and therefore lasts longer.

Stratus, you can connect your 9v batteries in parallel. That will boost you mA. If you have the space, you may want to consider using AA batteries connected in a series parallel circuit to get the target V and the extra mA that you want.

Phil
  • StratusStratus Posts: 12
    edited 2010-09-01 19:06
    Okay, thanks :smilewinkgrin:
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-09-01 19:13
    You can use the batteries to power different circuits: one for an HWB and another for motors or whatever to run from. You can put 9V batteries in parallel, but avoid mixing manufacturers.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-01 22:08
    You can use 9V batteries, but they are very poor choices for power supplies. They're expensive and have very little current capacity compared with almost anything else. You'd be much better off using AA cells in a 5 cell battery (5 x 1.5V = 7.5V). Rechargables (like NiMH cells) are also a better choice. In that case, you'd use 6 cells (6 x 1.2V = 7.2V).
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-09-02 05:56
    On the other hand, a noob/newbie/noobie/newb/...ad_nauseam can't get into too much trouble with the 9V batteries.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-09-02 16:58
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    On the other hand, a noob/newbie/noobie/newb/...ad_nauseam can't get into too much trouble with the 9V batteries.
    Unless you count financial trouble from having to replace them so often. :)

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-02 18:29
    We have a big box of Duracell 9Vs at work. They randomly pop open (bottom blows out with a pop) while just sitting in the box. We get about 2 pops a week. No short circuits anywhere, we put electrical tape over the contacts. They ALSO pop open under heavy drain. Not really dangerous, but plenty annoying and wasteful.
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2010-09-02 18:59
    Superglue the base...
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-09-05 11:20
    Mike Green wrote: »
    You'd be much better off using AA cells in a 5 cell battery (5 x 1.5V = 7.5V). Rechargables (like NiMH cells) are also a better choice. In that case, you'd use 6 cells (6 x 1.2V = 7.2V).

Can you explain why you recommend 7.2V (6 NiMH cells) rather than 6.0V (5 NiMH cells)?

My understanding is that the energy from the extra cell is completely wasted, being converted into heat in the linear regulator.

Additionally, the vast majority of servos available are spec'd to a maximum of 6.0V. The combination of higher available current and higher voltage will shorten the life of the servos if not run through a regulator.

I have had excellent results with my 5 cell sub-C NiMH pack on my Boe-Bot.

Rich H
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-09-06 07:16
    @W9GFO,
    I suggested using 6 NiMH cells (7.2V) because Stratus didn't mention servos nor did he mention the board he's using (presumably a BOE). With the BOE, you get an LM2940 voltage regulator with a 0.5V dropout voltage at 1A. That gives you a minimum input voltage of 5.5V for regulation to occur. Although NiMH cells do have a fairly flat discharge voltage curve, they're not perfect and there can be noise on the power line. 0.5V "headroom" (between 5.5V and 6V) is not a lot. The extra 1.2 (nominal) voltage is a tradeoff between wasted energy and extra battery life.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-06 09:04
    Mike makes a good point. A lot of modern devices stop working when the battery voltage drops even slightly, digital cameras being some of the prime offenders. It pays to build in some voltage overhead to keep things moving longer, even if there is some power dissipation.

That could be an interesting project to see what the optimum number of batteries would be in a mobile robot. More batteries is more weight to drag around and more energy dissipated to regulate to 5V, but as a whole the batteries would have a longer life in a given product since they each can contribute less to keep the total voltage in the green.

It is interesting to note how Duracell and Energizer "achieve" their amazing battery life claims. A D-cell has 15,000 mAH. WOW, that's 15 AMP HOURS! But they trickle the current out at less than 50 mA, and they call the battery "dead" at 0.8 volts. Pretty optimal and highly unrealistic conditions!

http://www1.duracell.com/oem/primary/alkaline/alkcapacity.asp

One reference says a new D-cell has a short-circuit current of 28 amps:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/WilliamCruz.shtml

(MAYBE for a second or two!)