Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK modules? — Parallax Forums

PINK modules?

VaatiVaati Posts: 712
edited 2010-09-05 17:33 in Accessories
I suppose this would fit in the wireless forum, but I'm not sure...

I happened to pick up two Parallax Internet Netburner boards from the freebie table at UPENE. However, the excitement stops there. They both seem to be faulty in some way, but I may simply be using them wrong or something.

I noticed that they said V1.2 on them, and since the current version sold by parallax seems to be v2.0 (according to the code and manual) is there a difference in how I can talk to them?

As for their symptoms, I found that the first of the two doesn't seem to want to communicate at all, and the data LED on the socket doesn't do anything when I run the test programs. The second one can communicate and all, but for some reason the ethernet socket LED's turn off and turn back on every few seconds, making it so it can only be ping-ed by CMD at strategic times, and rarely detected by the IPSetup software for the PINK.

Is there some trick to the PINK? Do I just have outdated, or simply faulty ones? If so, I need to check my Prop Stick USB from the freebie table as well...

Thanks.

Comments

• P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2010-08-30 07:56
    Probably just faulty. You could try seeing if you can access the website on them though, then it could be a simple web server.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-08-30 12:17
    Are you providing adequate power? The PINK Modules require more than 100mA of current to run properly.
  • VaatiVaati Posts: 712
    edited 2010-08-30 13:28
    Well, I was using a wall-wart labeled 300mA to power both the BS2 and the PINK...

I do know that the boards do say "v1.2," is that what the PINK currently sold by parallax says as well? I wonder if there is a difference in current draw between the two...
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-08-30 13:47
    300mA for everything seems pretty light to me. Just because it says 300mA doesn't mean I'd try to reach that limit. Can you measure the current draw with your meter and also check the voltage. Make sure you have solid power first then work out the other issues.

Robert
  • treborz17treborz17 Posts: 76
    edited 2010-09-03 09:39

Question by Vaati:

"I noticed that they said V1.2 on them, and since the current version sold by parallax seems to be v2.0 (according to the code and manual) is there a difference in how I can talk to them?"

I have the same question as Vaati about what differences there may be in the two versions of PINK, V1.2 vs V2.0.? I currently have V1.2.

Robert B.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-09-03 11:42
    There was no V2.0 firmware. There was a thread listing the final versions of the firmware for download and explaining the differences. I will have to see if it survived the migration.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-09-03 14:14
    Vaati wrote: »
    I suppose this would fit in the wireless forum, but I'm not sure...

I happened to pick up two Parallax Internet Netburner boards from the freebie table at UPENE. However, the excitement stops there. They both seem to be faulty in some way, but I may simply be using them wrong or something.

I noticed that they said V1.2 on them, and since the current version sold by parallax seems to be v2.0 (according to the code and manual) is there a difference in how I can talk to them?

As for their symptoms, I found that the first of the two doesn't seem to want to communicate at all, and the data LED on the socket doesn't do anything when I run the test programs. The second one can communicate and all, but for some reason the ethernet socket LED's turn off and turn back on every few seconds, making it so it can only be ping-ed by CMD at strategic times, and rarely detected by the IPSetup software for the PINK.

Is there some trick to the PINK? Do I just have outdated, or simply faulty ones? If so, I need to check my Prop Stick USB from the freebie table as well...

Thanks.

I'd like to remind anybody who picks up hardware from a UPE table that we're doing something a bit controversial internally - we're letting various failed, rejected and RMA product out to our customers. Most companies wouldn't do this for reasons related to the above. We don't know if Vaati's board was working or not, and if it were from Parallax via a junk table it is likely not functioning. It could also be from another UPE attendee- we don't know.

We'll continue to share rejected hardware unless it becomes a support problem, reputation issue or RMA problem (i.e., a customer returns it to us for service) for Parallax. UPE junk table stuff is provided without any warranty or support.

I simply wanted to call some attention to the matter so that expectations towards Parallax are clear in this regard.

End of programming interruptions - carry on!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-09-03 14:23
    Reject products could have non-function-threatening holes drilled in them, like the cards and dice you get in Reno. That would prevent them from reentering the support stream.

-Phil
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-09-03 14:42
    Reject products could have non-function-threatening holes drilled in them, like the cards and dice you get in Reno. That would prevent them from reentering the support stream.

-Phil

Yes, this is true. But if I have to provide the labor to drill holes in some product I might as well start recycling it again instead of providing it to UPE guests. Much of the hardware we put in UPE junk boxes is nearly working, too. Could be a customer RMA or a simple repair, but we don't like to show any modifications or hand-work repairs on our products so they're not suitable for resale.

I'll be watching the junk table hardware closely, especially the rounds it may make on the forums or via support calls. Again, even though I'm not sure the failed PINK is from Parallax let's just conservatively assume it is from our office. Even the simple appearance of it on our forums could make a newbie wonder if our products are anything less than the highest quality. This is a feeling I certainly don't want to proliferate.
    edited 2010-09-03 16:43
    Ken brings up an excellent point! Anything that is put on the freebie table should be considered as-is. The fact that Parallax has been kind enough to share items (that would otherwise be scraped) should be respected and certainly not abused.

If you can't get the modules working then either use them as parts boards or save them for the next UPE event and put them back on the table for someone else. Just put a note in there that they may be bad to save the next person some grief. Maybe the next person will have better luck. That table is about sharing parts that may help others with their projects.

I contributed four large boxes of stuff to the table myself. (No PINK modules though) There were quite a few items that I know were working ok and a few other items that were useful for parts. By the end of the day just about everything was cleared off. I hope that people will use the items they pulled out of there to create some cool new projects.

Robert
  • GalacticaActualGalacticaActual Posts: 18
    edited 2010-09-03 17:32
    Agree with Ken & RobotWorkshop. Everything on the junk table is as-is, and should be tested if it is going to be used. Discrete parts (e.g., resistors, capacitors, connectors, etc.) on the junk table are likely O.K., but no guarantees. Anything more complex is probably salvage for parts. Hobbyists would be wise to keep such salvage parts separate from purchased or known-good parts, and anyone with a more serious purpose should not use such salvage parts on prototype, test, or production units. This is just common-sense.

Parallax and others might want to mark known-bad stuff with a sticky-label or post-it note, or write "bad" or "X" on it with a Sharpie pen. But this is just a courtesy, not a requirement.

On the PINK modules themselves, these are NetBurner SB70 modules, and more documentation and software can be found at <http://www.netburner.com/products/serial_to_ethernet/sb70.html>.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-09-04 08:26
    We'll add this to our notes for next year to open a quick dialog at the expo regarding the freebie table. Yes, you should assume that freebie items are (a) not completely functional and (b) should never resurface as items which demand tech support.

However, on the other hand, it's fine to say that I've received a cool freebie item and would like some help here on the forum. We'll be happy to answer questions within the context of point (a). Hey, you might even decide that the item is cool enough to purchase a new one.

A good example of something done with a freebie item was the skateboard project I did last year. I needed a piece of PCB perf-board and had found a couple empty BS2 boards on the freebie table prior. A couple quick cuts with my saw and I had a very nice mini-perf that didn't cost me a dime!

Let's make sure that the freebie table isn't spoiled by abuse. It's a fun part of every expo.

OBC
    edited 2010-09-04 11:15
    LOL! I was wondering why they had "RMA" scribbled on the backs of them... :)

What does RMA stand for anyways?

And, I think that drilling holes through them is not a good idea, since that can destroy some parts that may otherwise still function, but not work in the item as a whole. I think that writing something indicating that it's faulty on the back of the board or on a large IC would be better, since it wouldn't do anything to possibly make the device disfunctional.

Lastly, I happened to grab a prop stick USB from the freebie table! Even better, it works completely with simple I/O, but I'm going to try running all my other programs on it just to be sure...

It's great that you do leave assorted products that aren't quite up to getting the honorable "QC Pass" sticker on them, because it gives people a chance to play with a scrap device to give them a free taste-test of what the actual device is able to do. I'm now re-considering whether I should buy a pink module with my remaining funds than something else. :-)
    edited 2010-09-04 12:38
    I have an extra PINK module (w/jumpers) that I had bought for a project but didn't need it. If you want one I could sell you that one for a discount. It also includes the network cable although it isn't in the picture. (There are some other Parallax goodies I need to buy)

Robert
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-09-04 14:46
    Vaati wrote: »
    LOL! I was wondering why they had "RMA" scribbled on the backs of them... :)

What does RMA stand for anyways?

"Return Merchandise Authorization." :)

OBC
    edited 2010-09-05 05:55
    How much for the PINK, robotworkshop?
    edited 2010-09-05 15:58
    I was going to ask $75 which includes shipping within the US. I'm not sure if you received the PM I sent so am responding here...
    edited 2010-09-05 17:33
    I did get the PM.

I don't think I'm going to pay $75 for the netburner, since I spent about half of my funds at UPENE and still have other projects that need funds.

Thanks for the offer, though.