Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another plywood bot — Parallax Forums

Another plywood bot

agfaagfa Posts: 295
edited 2010-09-04 17:32 in Robotics
As I mentioned in this thread, my intention was to build a larger bot. I've accomplished a few of my goals and wanted to post the progress.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=122480

I've built the bot, another plywood creation, with motors from a child’s riding toy. I wanted to use hall effect quadrature encoders mounted on the wheels, but I couldn’t get the components cut and placed accurately enough for the resolution I wanted. I ended up mounting tach style encoders on the motors, which was a battle itself with a cheap drill press and bandsaw. I was able to get a simple RF pair from Sparkfun to work sending commands from the bot to the beacons. Another battle was how to detect bot heading without IR. I went round and round trying to use sonar but just couldn't find the right materials or techniques to focus the beam. It finally occurred to me to use to two transducers on the bot measure the differential distance. Then I had to overcome the effects of the interference created by the RF on the transducers and that of the motors to the RF.

I finally got a simple zero radius turn maneuver to detect the direction of, and the beacon-to-bot distance. Now on to navigating and docking to a charging station.

agfa
461 x 308 - 43K
461 x 308 - 45K
461 x 308 - 45K
461 x 308 - 44K
461 x 308 - 48K
461 x 308 - 52K
461 x 308 - 47K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-08-29 10:02
    Sweet ride, agfa! Sounds like you have come a long way in an short time, well done!

Handmade wheels? How did you get them so nice & true with just hand tools?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-08-29 17:43
    agfa,

Great bot! You need to join and post your pics in the DIY Robot Group.

Those look like Power Wheels motors - is that right?
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2010-08-30 16:42
    erco,

Thanks for your comments.

The wheels weren’t that hard. I first trued my drill press as best I could. I laid out and rough-cut the wheels on the bandsaw, and drilled the center hole. I used a home made jig inspired by Norm Abram to do the final circle cut. I used a router to cut the round over. I epoxied a brass tube in the center, while the epoxy dried I free-wheeled it on a shaft and aligned by eye. I finished by gluing on a tire made of a strip of inner tube.

I’ve used plywood wheels on the last two bots I’ve made. I am quite pleased with the cost and the freedom it provides in the design process.

Whit,

Thanks for the invitation, I've got lots of pics.

I'm not sure about the motors, I didn’t pay attention. It was an ATV style toy that I found out by someone’s trash can. I tore the motors out and tested them as soon as I got home. It was a good day!

agfa
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-08-30 21:30
    Agfa, great project and excellent use of materials.

Humanoido
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-09-02 19:05
    That's pretty slick. What are you using for a controller board? It's hard to tell from the pictures.
    edited 2010-09-02 19:34
    I'm using a proto board with stacked-on intererface board. The motor contoller is a home-made creation. It's 2 mosfets for variable speed control via PWM generated by the propeller, and 2 relays to provide directional control.
    768 x 512 - 72K
    768 x 512 - 96K
    edited 2010-09-03 20:21
    A video showing the bot can drive a straight line. The encoders and PID doing their thing. The startup is kind of bouncy, I need to tune the gains a little more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO8HODd7ZgU
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-03 22:52
    Laser-straight! Congrats!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-09-04 17:32
    I like your motor controller and the big ole heat sinks!

It does run straight as an arrow too!