Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stingray News — Parallax Forums

Stingray News

polbitpolbit Posts: 25
edited 2010-11-24 23:46 in Robotics
I was just wondering if there is any news on any new parts, accessories, books, etc. for the Stingray? I seem to remember a lot of discussion back in the beginning of the year, but nothing has been released as of yet.

Polbit

Comments

• jessicajessica Posts: 8
    edited 2010-08-25 05:05
    Hi

I'm quite interested in buying the stingray robot but I would like to know if I could mount the BS2 board of education USB instead of the propeller robot board using the same holes ?
    thanks a lot with your answer!
    Jessica
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2010-08-25 08:05
    I have recently discovered that the battery compartment mounts very handily to one of the side upright panels, getting it out from the (troublesome because there is not enough room for adult sized hands area) lower deck. I'll upload some snaps of this mod soon.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2010-08-25 08:16
    jessica wrote: »
    Hi

I'm quite interested in buying the stingray robot but I would like to know if I could mount the BS2 board of education USB instead of the propeller robot board using the same holes ?
    thanks a lot with your answer!
    Jessica

Jessica;

The boards are not the same size, but the deck on the stingray has a number of slots that you could probably use to mount a BOE board.

If you do that, you'll also need to provide motor drivers, etc. that are included on the Propeller Robot Board.

I'd really encourage you to use the Propeller Robot Board. The Propeller is not that hard to use, and there are a number of tools available (PBasic objects as well as Prop Basic) that make a transition from the Stamps to the Prop easier (if you need them).

Don't be intimidated! Dive in, with both feet, just keep your hands on the keyboard!

John R.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-08-25 08:32
    @polbit - nothing new yet that I am aware of. Some folks are doing some interesting add-ons themselves though.

@Jessica-Buying the whole Stingray (even if you want to use the BOE) is still the best deal. Plus, you will have the Propeller Robot Control Board when you want it.

You can also program the Propeller Robot Control Board with PropBASIC - See Bean's thread and Tony B.'s posts. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=118611&highlight=PropBASIC

If you go with the BOE - you will need motor controllers.

This thread has links to useful info - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=121518
  • jessicajessica Posts: 8
    edited 2010-08-27 07:33
    Thanks for your help and the links.
    I have read nearly all of them.
    Propbasic is great !
  • daveedavee Posts: 35
    edited 2010-09-14 07:19
    As of this morning, you can use 12Blocks to program your Stingray. I have the mods (straight from the author, Hanno Sanders). The mods create a hardware profile that uses the H-Bridges built into the Stringray board. Still in alpha but should be ready to go by this weekend. Set Speed still needs work but everything else works greate.
  • polbitpolbit Posts: 25
    edited 2010-11-24 13:01
    Well, I guess I'll make this into a quarterly reminder until something gets released for the Stingray... Any news on ANYTHING related to Stingray from Parallax, other than the sale price? It's seems like such a great platform, however it appears to be all but forgotten.

Polbit
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-11-24 16:01
  • polbitpolbit Posts: 25
    edited 2010-11-24 20:19
    I understand the Stingray has been released a long time ago, I bought it a long time ago :) What I'm talking about is what I mentioned in the initial post - any new parts, accessories, books, etc. for it, like a Quadrature Encoder.

Polbit
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-11-24 23:46
    polbit, my bad, a little too quick at reading your post. Now that I see exactly what you are looking for, I agree that activity on StingRay accessories seems to be very quiet. Anyhow, have you seen these threads?

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=126385&highlight=Quadrature+Encoder

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=118906&highlight=encoder

good luck!