Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Usable Serial Ports Found ! — Parallax Forums

No Usable Serial Ports Found !

gudunovgudunov Posts: 6
edited 2010-08-24 14:49 in BASIC Stamp
Hello fellows,

I am having problem with my dive into BASIC STAMP Editor. I followed the instructions to the letter one good hour to read just the getting started.
My laptop has no serial ports.
I bought the expensive Staples serial to usb adapter to connect the HomeWork Board. When I open the Editor and hit Identify under the Run sub-menu I get "No Usable Serial Ports Found !"

I have spent 2 days on this and I feel like crying. Please help.

Thanks

Gudunov

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-08-22 10:34
    Unfortunately, many "expensive" USB to serial adapters are not very good. They often don't implement some of the handshaking signals necessary for downloading programs to the Stamp, DTR (Data Terminal Ready) in particular. I have used a variety of USB to serial adapters using the FTDI chips including the ones sold by Parallax and by FTDI and they all work with the Stamp and the Propeller. I've also used Keyspan's High Speed Serial Adapter and that works fine.

It's important that you NOT use the default Windows USB driver. If you can find a specific USB driver for the Staples device, try installing that before you give up on that adapter.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-08-22 10:46
    What OS are you running? My new laptop used Win7 x64 and I had to download the latest drivers from the FTDI web site to get my ancient USB-RS232 adapter to work on it.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2010-08-22 11:13
    My suggestion is to return the adapter to Staples and get your money back, then order the adapter that Parallax makes: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CablesConverters/tabid/166/CategoryID/40/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/378/Default.aspx.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-08-22 12:58
    Make sure your operating system is seeing the adapter before you blame the homework board. Are the drivers installed and does Device Manager(microsoft products) see the port when you plug it in?
  • gudunovgudunov Posts: 6
    edited 2010-08-22 14:48
    Sir, I've your advice. I found and installed the Staples USB adapter driver. I no longer get the famous "No Usable Serial Port Found !" alert.
    However, the Device Type is not detected even though LOOPBACK and ECHO have YES in their respective columns below.
    I ran thorugh the Help Files again to tweak the COMM port properties. Nothing is happening!

I am frustrated to now to know that PARALLAX makes its own Serial Port to USB adapter. Why can't they just bundle it with the kit ? The $46 I spent on this Staples USB adapter alone could have fetched me 3 of the Parallax USB adapters, and got me through the book 72 hours ago !
    edited 2010-08-22 14:50
    Thank you, Sir. I will order the Parallax COMM port adapter. But I am mad they did not include it in the kit ! Very frustrated !
    edited 2010-08-22 14:50
    I am using Windows 7 32-bits.
    edited 2010-08-22 15:06
    "Loopback" just means that there's a connection between DSR (Data Set Ready) and RTS (Request To Send) as shown in the schematics for connecting a Stamp to a Serial Port.

"Echo" means that there's a connection between the transmit line from the PC and the receive line back to the PC so any characters sent from the PC are echoed back to the PC. This is shown in the internal schematics for the RS232 interface on the Stamp module. Both schematics are in the Stamp Reference Manual (page 28) and the Stamp Editor help files.

In order for the Stamp to be identified by the Stamp Editor, the DTR (Data Terminal Ready) signal has to be connected to the ATN (Attention or Reset) line of the Stamp module using two capacitors as shown in the Manual's schematic. The Stamp Editor uses DTR to force the Stamp to reset, then sends a specific message to the Stamp which causes the Stamp to identify itself. The Stamp has to be powered and operating for this to work.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2010-08-22 15:25
    Which kit do you have? They bundle the adapter with most of the newer kits, if there isn't a USB version of the kit also available.
  • ErikdSErikdS Posts: 37
    edited 2010-08-23 08:24
    And if you use the parallax module, do you still need seperate drivers? If so, can these be downloaded?

Kind regards

Erik
    edited 2010-08-23 08:33
    The Parallax USB to serial adapter uses the FTDI chip. You DO need to install FTDI's driver which is downloadable from FTDI and from Parallax and is available for all varieties of Windows and for the MacOS. If you have some other Parallax USB to serial adapter (like those built into Parallax products), this is the same driver used with those products.

FTDI USB Drivers
    edited 2010-08-24 14:49
    The Staples USB adapter simply failed every tests. I finally got the Parallax adapter today. I did not have to install any driver. It worked great and I had the chance to have fun with my new hobby today.

But for some reason, the reset button fell apart and the green Running light is off now!

I wondered what was going on! Anyway, I have to run for a Bible Class in a few.

Wish me luck with my BASIC STAMP experience!