Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Databridge at Jameco: Parallax's WiFi? — Parallax Forums

Databridge at Jameco: Parallax's WiFi?

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2010-08-29 12:41 in Accessories
All--

In the Parallax section of their online catalog, Jameco shows a new component called the Databridge (http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c103/P195.pdf; I've somehow lost the ability to post a proper link). Is that Parallax's Wifi mofule?

Ken, if so, you should send me one free for noticing it first. (I think.)

EDIT: I fixed the link.

--Bill

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-08-19 13:50
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2010-08-19 14:02
    Robert--

Yes. That's it.

--Bill
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-08-19 19:11
    It wouldn't be the first time that a new Parallax product appeared in Jameco's catalog before the official release. If I remember correctly, the joystick did as well, along with one or two other products.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-08-19 20:04
    Reading the specs it isn't WiFi just 2.4Ghz. It looks to be another form of "virtual wire"
    edited 2010-08-20 04:40
    Hmm. It looks like an expensive XBee alternative. The only advantages I see are the DIP package, the SMA connector, and slightly higher power output. But at 3x the cost of an XBee it hardly seems worth it

I also notice that despite the fact that it's presented in the Parallax section, the FTDI breakout above sure looks like the Sparkfun product. That suggests that the wireless device is also not Parallax, but simply another misplaced product.

I guess I'm no expert, but I can't see why Parallax would introduce a product meant to compete with the XBees just as they're making this commitment to the XBees.
    edited 2010-08-20 06:35
    sylvie369--

You said, ". . . I can't see why Parallax would introduce a product meant to compete with the XBees just as they're making this commitment to the XBees."

I have felt the same way ever since the XBees were introduced by Parallax. The Wifi unit's introduction seems to have lagged far behind suggested debut dates. The reason you suggest may be valid.

--Bill
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2010-08-20 09:08
    Hello!

The advert posted above was actually a misprint. Jameco knows about the error and will fix it on the next run.

There's actually an Arduino board listed there too - and we don't carry those! :]
    edited 2010-08-20 10:11
    Jessica--

Thanks for the clarification.

When is the Parallax Wifi component scheduled for initial release?

Thanks.

--Bill
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2010-08-20 11:45
    Hello!

The advert posted above was actually a misprint. Jameco knows about the error and will fix it on the next run.

There's actually an Arduino board listed there too - and we don't carry those! :]

What's an Arduino? Sounds like a small armadillo.
    edited 2010-08-20 15:21
    John R. wrote: »
    What's an Arduino? Sounds like a small armadillo.

It's nothing. There's no such thing. Nothing to see here - just move along.

Or, wait, yes, it's a small armadillo. Yup.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-08-22 18:29
    Jessica--

Thanks for the clarification.

When is the Parallax Wifi component scheduled for initial release?

Thanks.

--Bill
    '
    Hello Bill
    '
    I too would like a little feed back from Parallax on the state of the WiFi project.
    If its been ditched over the X-Bees, Could you let us know?
    '
    I have found some WiFi devices [non Parallax], but I have been holding out for a Parallax WiFi device. I enjoy the docs. and support that I get from Parallax, And going into some thing like WiFi with out Parallax support isn't fun.
    '
    If Parallax has droped the WiFi project, Could you at least let us know?
    edited 2010-08-22 19:49
    Either I'm confused or completely out of the loop on something.

Aren't XBees and WiFi two entirely different kinds of things, serving entirely different purposes? I haven't messed with WiFi devices, other than my normal wireless home network stuff, but isn't WiFi for that? For communicating with your network? AFAIK, XBee has nothing to do with that kind of thing.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-08-22 19:56
    Sylvie, you are correct. They are two different protocols and don't talk to each other.
  • treborz17treborz17 Posts: 76
    edited 2010-08-23 01:51
    Anything WiFi that I have will stream any movie, video or audio at high speed, where I'm finding out that xbee will only do data.

Robert
    edited 2010-08-23 06:11
    Jessica--

Will you please give us an update on the Parallax Wifi project?

Thanks!

--Bill
  • Kevin McCulloughKevin McCullough Posts: 62
    edited 2010-08-25 14:34
    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to chime in real quick. We are definitely still developing the WiFi Module to be a product soon. Can't offer a release date, but we're getting there. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Also, by the way, the "Databridge" module that was shown in Jameco (apparently as a mix-up) is definitely NOT the WiFi Module we are working on.

-Kevin
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-08-26 17:55
    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to chime in real quick. We are definitely still developing the WiFi Module to be a product soon. Can't offer a release date, but we're getting there. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Also, by the way, the "Databridge" module that was shown in Jameco (apparently as a mix-up) is definitely NOT the WiFi Module we are working on.

-Kevin

This is great news Kevin!!!
    '
    --Thanks for the feed back--
  • Sam ZamenSam Zamen Posts: 1
    edited 2010-08-29 12:41
    Hey Guys,

-Kevin

Hey guys,

I wanted to clarify the confusion. The Databridge product is not shown as a mix-up, but it is manufactured by a completely different company, Starman Electric. It is posted under the "wireless devices" section of the Jameco catalog, although it probably shouldn't be on the parallax page.

I've used both xbee and databridge wireless devices, and they both have their own benefits. I've always liked the xbee, but I usually try other new modules on the market. While the xbee is cheaper and allows more configurations, I've found the databridge modules to be much easier to deal with and setup for point to point. No software setup, and no AT commands.

While they are 2-3x the cost, I've noticed they are more reliable with much less data latency, and have lower power consumption with more range. The databridge modules also use frequency hopping which makes it far superior for avoiding radio interference, and they have two analog outputs which can come in real handy. Anyone else used this module?

- Sam