Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Easy Bluetooth Module — Parallax Forums

Easy Bluetooth Module

Brian BBrian B Posts: 31
edited 2010-08-18 09:14 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the easy bluetooth moule to transmit USB data + and - to wirelessly transmit new PBASIC programs to the BOE-BOT thru the usb connection on the Board of Education

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-08-15 14:34
    Yes, and no.
    (yes I know and no it is not possible)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-08-15 14:54
    To expand a little on the answer:

The download protocol is sensitive to timing and delays in the communications channel, partly as part of error checking, and the download process can't tolerate the internal delays that are characteristic of Bluetooth, xBee and WiFi communications as bytes are assembled into packets, sent, error checked, then broken apart again into bytes on the receiving end.
  • Brian BBrian B Posts: 31
    edited 2010-08-16 23:16
    is there anything else i can use made by parallax to transmit USB data
    edited 2010-08-17 08:18
    is there anything else i can use made by parallax to transmit USB data
    Could you explain your question a bit.:confused: you can transmit usb data using a usb to serial adapter but I don't think that is what you are talking about.
  • Brian BBrian B Posts: 31
    edited 2010-08-17 22:03
    Franklin wrote: »
    Could you explain your question a bit.:confused: you can transmit usb data using a usb to serial adapter but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

Sorry, I mean wirelessly transmit USB data
    edited 2010-08-18 09:05
    you can transmit usb serial data using the xbee module but you can't convert it back to usb on the other end with anything from Parallax that I know of.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-08-18 09:14
    What do you mean by "USB data"? Do you want to create an arbitrary USB wireless link? What do you have in mind?

If you want to create an arbitrary USB wireless link, you won't be able to use the Easy Bluetooth Module to do this. It's too slow and you'd need too much hardware around it to be practical. USB runs at high speeds and has a very complex protocol. You'd need to handle some parts of the protocol on each end of the link. You'd be better off buying a wireless USB link made for that purpose.

If you just want to send a stream of byte values over a bidirectional link and the speed needed fits what Bluetooth can do, then an Easy Bluetooth link will work as a wireless serial port replacement.