Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Digital Encoder? — Parallax Forums

Digital Encoder?

USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
edited 2010-08-15 14:37 in Robotics
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2109536_-1

Is this worth it? And this is for the one they currently have on stock right..? Also..I'm guessing I can use this kit alongside the QTI Line follower at the same time?

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-08-14 20:02
    I haven't used that particular wheel encoder set, but in general wheel encoders are really the only way to drive straight or measure distances. They use only two I/O pins, so you will still have enough free I/O pins to use the QTI sensor on the bottom as a line sensor.

I have a set of wheel encoders and wouldn't go back to a robot without them. One thing to consider is that the S2 will have wheel encoders built in, so for that purchase price you are halfway to an S2.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-08-15 10:03
    Also, the BoeBot digital encoder (as delivered) only has ~ 16 pulses per revolution, using the slotted wheels as encoder disks. S2 has something ridiculous like 480, probably motor encoders. And hopefully minimal backlash.

Viva la revolution!
  • USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
    edited 2010-08-15 10:53
    I'm gonna get the S2 so I should just skip the encoders? Also will the S2 be software only or those it have a board and stuff for electrical additions ..?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-08-15 12:40
    From the pics I've seen of the S2 on this forum, it looks like it is using a similar shell to the original Scribbler. But the S2 has a much better hacker port (more pins and power). So if you are willing to void your warranty, then you can open it up, modify the case, and add hardware.

Many of us on this forum opened our Scribblers and modified the hardware, I suspect similar techniques will work on S2.
  • USMCinfinityUSMCinfinity Posts: 150
    edited 2010-08-15 13:24
    But no breadboard like the boebot right?