Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stream Video and/or Video from XBee? — Parallax Forums

Stream Video and/or Video from XBee?

treborz17treborz17 Posts: 76
edited 2010-09-11 07:46 in Accessories
Right now I am sending camera navigation video and audio from robot to PC with a relatively expensive security camera system -- one 2.4GHz Camera to PC link a little over $300.00 just for the link.

Will XBee, or any other Parallax radio link, stream video good enough for remote navigation?

Also, could I use the Parallax Internet card link to aid in my navigation system. I would be satisfied with just 500 to 1000 foot range on the remote. I have heard talk about a WiFi system or something like that, that Parallax might come out with.

Appreciate any comments on the subject.

Thanks,

Robert

post scriptum: That stupid user ID of treborz17 is robert spelled backwords with a z for end of last name and then a good luck number if anyone is wondering why the cryptic ID.

Comments

• treborz17treborz17 Posts: 76
    edited 2010-08-13 22:34
    Thank you Franklin, that has possibilities, certainly lower cost than what I'm using.

Robert
  • Adam WieslerAdam Wiesler Posts: 81
    edited 2010-08-19 13:19
    I have been using this one http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Wireless-N-Internet-Monitoring-Camera/dp/B002OHDFOA It is decent. As long as you have a decent router and computer, there is very little lag. I have it on my stingray right now and it's pretty cool!
  • treborz17treborz17 Posts: 76
    edited 2010-08-20 17:44
    Thank you Adam. After these two good suggestions from the forum I realize there are a number of alternates available.

Being quite a fan of Parallax products, as I'm sure many others of you are, but mostly because I have purchased about every sensor, controller, and other boards that they have marketed for the last 3 years, that I was hoping maybe some of my XBees and/or 433MHz Transceivers from Parallax that I have laying around, or maybe their new Wi-Fi Chip, all of which I know how to interface with my robot projects, would work as a video streaming link or even a link slower than 30fps. I even have two or three good IR and other Security cameras lying around -- I used to install them.

The separate link is mostly what I could use, something I might even be able to develop a two way video link for one on one communications with people between robot and base. Then shooting for the moon I might try to utilize the Parallax Internet interface board I have setting on a shelf for via Internet communications.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Robert
  • lonnieinskeeplonnieinskeep Posts: 1
    edited 2010-09-11 03:05
    Anyone know if it's possible to send a video feed using xbees? They have quite the distance abilities, and I would really like to stream a live video feed from a few miles away...It was informative...
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-09-11 07:46
    The XBee transmission rate is much too slow for live video.

-Phil