Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
are we teaching robots/androids how to react in the battle field?? — Parallax Forums

are we teaching robots/androids how to react in the battle field??

laser-vectorlaser-vector Posts: 118
edited 2010-08-12 16:57 in Robotics
i was thinking.. if you wanted to teach a robot how to combat with humans, to teach them strategy, possible outcomes and scenarios.. whats the best way to acquire all of that data????

i dont think the engineers would know much about combat so they couldnt just hard program it in...
and even if a robot were to observe some kind of war simulation, it could only learn so much about how humans react in "certain situations".

there is a place where millions of different scenarios and millions of different strategies are implemented every day. this place is called the world of online first person shooter games.

if you could develop a system to tap into and observe every online game player's every move you could probably learn a lot about how humans react in many combat scenarios.

that plus some of the data collected by the military and you could make for one scary smart killing machine.

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-08-11 17:32
    Well, as someone who has spent more time than I care to admit in FPS games I can say that how I behave or react in the game is dramatically different than what I would do in real life.

Rich H
  • laser-vectorlaser-vector Posts: 118
    edited 2010-08-11 17:51
    Agreed, when I play I'm a lot more offence than I would be in real life. But how I play would be great qualities for a machine. Eg. I don't care about pain (because I can not feel it) nor do I fear death, yet I do my best to minimize the chances of either occurring while using my best methods to eliminate the other players. Even though its a little different than real life I believe its still useful data for a cognative war machine
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2010-08-11 22:39
    I'd say it would be great for bot-to-bot combat. Who knows when that day will come, though.
  • GranzGranz Posts: 179
    edited 2010-08-12 16:57
    At this point in time, we don't have enough AI capabilities (although DoD is working their butt off for this) to just put a 'bot on the field of battle. The place for robots now is for specific tasks such as cargo hauling, rescue, mine sniffing, etc. I have seen some stuff about automated Humvees going on autonomous patrols/guard detail, it looks pretty interesting.

Given from the point of view of an engineer who spent 10 years active duty, although none of it was related to this kind of work - I have kept an interest in this stuff.