Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PBASIC to C evolution suggestions? — Parallax Forums

PBASIC to C evolution suggestions?

MimewarMimewar Posts: 10
edited 2010-08-09 12:39 in BASIC Stamp
I learned PBasic through the Parallax Basic Stamp homework board, and it went well. Now I want to program PICs, and build a few projects. Since Stamps are 50$ a shot, and I have the gear to program PICs, why not. In order to do this, I will either have to learn C, or buy an expensive compiler (Pbasic to C) Are there any resources similar to the Parallax method, to learn C? It seems to be a much much more complex language, and I am not interested in computer programming, only microcontrollers. PICBasic is 250$, but there has to be a free compiler/translater out there! Is there a way to program a PIC with PBasic, without using a compiler?

Help... Anyone...

Shane

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-08-09 11:43
    (here's a complete non-answer...)

Have you considered moving to the Propeller instead? Cheap and powerful, and an easy-to-learn language, PLUS no need to mess with interrupts and all of that headache. And you get the Parallax documentation/education advantage.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2010-08-09 12:39
    Shane, this question was already answered in the other thread that you started on the subject. The answer is NO. You cannot program a PIC in PBasic. Parallax owns PBasic, and they do not release it to anybody.

As I stated in the other thread that you started on the subject...
    Kevin Wood wrote:
    As for learning C in a manner similar to the Parallax approach, I suggest finding a kit based on the Arduino Duemilanove. There are several out there, but this one has a well written manual to go with it. You can download it at the bottom of the page.

If you do not wish to use an Arduino because it isn't based on a PIC, but want to learn C specifically with a PIC, you should look into the suggestions given in the other thread that you started on the subject: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=124284