Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Continuing Penguins — Parallax Forums

Continuing Penguins

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2010-08-10 01:37 in Robotics
Now that the new "rescued" Penguins can do full English language text messages, it will be even more popular. The new version board is amazing, fun to program, and filled with extra features! There's a lot of new stuff that will be introduced giving Penguins added capabilities. There's a possibility of introducing this on a project by project basis or as a project collective (book) in electronic form, depending on interest. Any thoughts on this?

Humanoido

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-08-09 14:40
    Do the rescued penguins still use a BS2? If so how does the new board send text messages?
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-08-09 17:18
    My understanding was the retrofit kit was to solve a power problem. Do you know something other than what has been published in this forum?

Jim
    Humanoido wrote: »
    Now that the new "rescued" Penguins can do full English language text messages, it will be even more popular. The new version board is amazing, fun to program, and filled with extra features! There's a lot of new stuff that will be introduced giving Penguins added capabilities. There's a possibility of introducing this on a project by project basis or as a project collective (book) in electronic form, depending on interest. Any thoughts on this?

Humanoido
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-08-09 17:33
    Humanoido wrote: »
    There's a possibility of introducing this on a project by project basis or as a project collective (book) in electronic form, depending on interest. Any thoughts on this?

Humanoido

Anyway you want to do it. I would love to see whatever you produce. Your existing Penguin resources are fantastic.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-08-10 01:08
    Martin_H wrote: »
    Do the rescued penguins still use a BS2? If so how does the new board send text messages?
    Penguin does not use a BS2. It uses a BS2px. Rescued Penguins have the same processor, only the circuit has changed. The new circuit handles the segment display differently allowing all segments to be programmed for text. Previous Penguins could only show numbers 0-9 and 5 graphic characters. Rescued Penguins can show the entire alphabet, all numbers, many graphic characters, and a decimal point. I programmed Penguins to wirelessly send information back and forth using only a couple of stock Penguins. I also put one Penguin in charge and he gave message commands to three other Penguins, telling them what to do in unison. What I like the most about the new boarded Penguins is their ability to communicate with me in ordinary English. I have developed a program that does this and enables the segment display to do a kind of VR scrolling of characters which are readable as words. So for the 1st time, Penguins can communicate with you in English text messages, rather than spoken Penguinese.

Humanoido
    edited 2010-08-10 01:33
    hover1 wrote: »
    My understanding was the retrofit kit was to solve a power problem. Do you know something other than what has been published in this forum? Jim
    Hi Jim - you are talking about the power anomaly where a Penguin works with the USB cable plugged into the computer, but goes erratic without the cable. To answer your question, yes, there's lots of really great information about the new Penguin yet to be published on this Forum. Excellent information for sorting things out is found by consulting the "before" and "after" Penguin schematics, originally offered for download at the Parallax Store/Penguin page. Here's where you can get the new schematic:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/128/CategoryID/3/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/438/Default.aspx

PenguinDoc-v1.4 (.pdf)
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/robo/27313-6%20PenguinDoc-v1.4.pdf

Humanoido
    edited 2010-08-10 01:37
    Whit wrote: »
    Anyway you want to do it. I would love to see whatever you produce. Your existing Penguin resources are fantastic.
    Whit: you are always a positive and great inspiration to everyone on this Forum. Thank you!

Humanoido