Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Post your Robot EXPO Stories Here — Parallax Forums

Post your Robot EXPO Stories Here

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2010-08-15 02:22 in Robotics
Humanoid robots were all over at the EXPO in Shanghai China.
You still have a chance to go there and see, until October.
Behind the glass were several humanoids in the French Exhibit.
The man beside me knew more about the robots than me. He
pounded on the window and frantically waved. It got the robot's
attention which turned around to face the man and looked directly
at him and waved back! Coincidence or not, I don't know anymore.
These humanoid robots can do more things, have more fluent
motions and are more life-like than anything I have see before.
They also seem to be growing up, taller and taller, over the years.
No longer are they 12 to 15-inches high, but several feet tall!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
humanoido
*Stamp SEED Supercomputer *Basic Stamp Supercomputer *TriCore Stamp Supercomputer
*Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Tiny Stamp Supercomputer *Penguin with 12 Brains
*BASIC Stamp Supercomputing Book *Three Dimensional Computer *StampOne News!
*Penguin Tech *Penguin Robot Society *Humanoid Toddler Robot
*Ultimate List Prop Languages *Prop-a-Lot *Propalot Stuff *Prop SC Computer
*Prop Skyscraper *Hobby Space Program
*Smart BoeBot - http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=6&m=469004
*Multiprop Project List - http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=472019
*Tiny Tester for Developing Parallel Algorithms - http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=474649

Comments

• P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2010-08-06 23:27
    All show but no tallent. Show me one that's capable of climbing a tree or running over rocks in the woods and I'll be impressed.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-08-10 01:50
    pi'd wrote: »
    All show but no tallent. Show me one that's capable of climbing a tree or running over rocks in the woods and I'll be impressed.
    Pi'd, consider yourself impressed, very impressed. At the EXPO's Japan building, outside, three humanoid robots, with hands and feet, gripped the side of the building (a tall skyscraper) and climbed their way to the top and then down again, then repeated the process all day, tirelessly in about 130 degree heat directly in the sun. It was one of the most impressive displays of humanoid robots I have ever seen. You could see their hands and feet reach for holding places and their eyes looking around to find the best locations - part of the decision making process. They wore a kind of athletic jump suit and you could see their hands and feet very clearly. It was fascinating to see humanoids so highly skilled.

Humanoido
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2010-08-10 10:28
    That is really cool, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's all they could do. I cant wait for the day when androids can do everything a human can and more.
    edited 2010-08-10 11:37
    pi'd wrote: »
    That is really cool, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's all they could do. I cant wait for the day when androids can do everything a human can and more.
    Pi'd, I'm certain that's all they do. But be happy we've come a long way - we are now seeing (as previously discussed) many specialized robots in 2010. This is the era of robotics that we are currently in. It won't be surprising in the next era to see these specialties come together for the humanoid that can "do it all." Pi'd, at your youthful age, I'm sure you'll get to see all these treasures and more. I think it would be really cool to have humanoids walking down the streets of New York, blending in..

Humanoido
  • GranzGranz Posts: 179
    edited 2010-08-12 17:05
    Never been to a specifically Robotics Expo, but the upcoming UPENE should qualify with the Robot contest. Looking forward to this, should be fun. :)

I'll post something about that when I get back.
    edited 2010-08-14 03:56
    Granz, we look forward to hearing about your adventures at UPENE. Are you taking your own robot there?

Humanoido
  • GranzGranz Posts: 179
    edited 2010-08-14 20:03
    Humanoido wrote: »
    Granz, we look forward to hearing about your adventures at UPENE. Are you taking your own robot there?

Humanoido

Probably not, none of my 'bots run off a Prop - AVR here so far. I am working on trying to put together a couple of demonstrations of development kits for the people to get ideas. I am also looking into the possibility of teaching a class for beginners.
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2010-08-14 22:14
    Humanoido;

Good to hear you enjoyed the robot displays; I wish I could have seen them.

On the other hand I'm also glad you confirmed the conditions, and I did not expose myself to that heat, humidity and line up, as I just can't handle that. Whenever I stepped outside from the air conditioned buildings, I would literally be soaked through in three minutes, and that level of discomfort is just not for me. I'm positive I would have been sent home in a wooden crate in the cargo bay.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
    edited 2010-08-15 02:22
    pjv wrote: »
    Humanoido; Good to hear you enjoyed the robot displays; I wish I could have seen them. On the other hand I'm also glad you confirmed the conditions, and I did not expose myself to that heat, humidity and line up, as I just can't handle that. Whenever I stepped outside from the air conditioned buildings, I would literally be soaked through in three minutes, and that level of discomfort is just not for me. I'm positive I would have been sent home in a wooden crate in the cargo bay. Cheers, Peter (pjv)
    Peter, I plan to provide more information and photos of the robots so not everyone will need to expose to those harsh conditions. It's amazing that any place can be so hot. I agree with you about being soaked through in 3 minutes after stepping outside! But it's all relative. I've seen people from Texas USA that think everything is fine. Texas must be very hot and humid. :) Even the indoor air conditioning throughout China is not cool. It's set to about 80-85 deg. F. Some Chinese people were wearing sweaters and jackets. Most Chinese people have warm hearts but are cold physically. I think it comes from having no fat on the body, therefore no natural way to keep warm. It's all very interesting how people evolved differently in other parts of the world and I respect that, however, it was a risk and a challenge to avoid being teleported home in a body bag. It's serious because on opening day, 30 people died from the heat, and the day I was there, 15 people died.

Humanoido