Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Serial Computer Interface — Parallax Forums

RFID Serial Computer Interface

parker.l.reedparker.l.reed Posts: 1
edited 2010-08-04 15:23 in Accessories
I just bought the Parallax serial RFID sensor and tags from Radioshack. It was on clearance at 8 dollars, Normally 49.95. I already had a serial to USB converter to use with it. Initially I went to the product page and found the sample program and code. I wanted to be able to control my computer with the RFID tags. I am not a programmer, so the source code would no be of use to me. All the sample program does is just display the RFID tag number. I was surprised to find out that the tag number was just plain text transmitted over serial. I then called Parallax support to ask about any programs I could use to control my computer with the tags. They didn't know of anything. I then did some thinking, and I had remembered a program I had downloaded a while back that might do the job. The program I had downloaded previously was Eventghost (available at http://www.eventghost.org/). It's a free program, Windows only, that can run commands and macros that can be triggered via many different methods. One method in particular is "Serial Port". Once you have it downloaded, here's how to set it up. I right clicked in the white area and clicked "Add Plugin". Then, I scrolled down until I saw "Serial Port" under "Other". I then clicked "Ok". My com port settings were: COM2, 2400, 8, No Parity, 1, and None. I made sure to tick the checkbox next to "Generate events on incoming data". Then from here I scanned a tag, and it showed up in the log on the left hand side. Next, I again right clicked in the white area and chose "Add Macro". A list of available commands comes up. You can chose anything here but for tutorial purposes I chose "Start Application" under "System". I then clicked browse next to "Executable" and chose to launch Firefox. Then I clicked "Ok". Next, I dragged one of the tag numbers from the log over and dropped it on top of the Firefox command. Then I just scanned the tag that I had dragged in, and it opened Firefox. This turned out to be a perfect solution to my proplem. I hope this helps some of you use your Parallax RFID reader more. If you have any problems getting it set up feel free to post them in this thread.

Comments

• mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-08-04 15:23
    Parker that is very nice of you thanks I can defiantly find a use for this program I to really couldn't much with my RFID I set mine up so that when I walk into my computer room it will launch fire fox and all the other programs that I use for the day ,, the only problem I need to solve is if I get up and leave and come back it will run all those applications again ,, so for now I have to deactivate it once I sit down for the first time . If you have any ideas I would be very interested thank you again nice share