Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TI-83Plus calculators and the BASIC Stamp1 an activity in eight bits — Parallax Forums

TI-83Plus calculators and the BASIC Stamp1 an activity in eight bits

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
edited 2011-01-03 21:39 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
After a sucessful return to the world of the BASIC Stamp1, which included getting some of my earlier programs to work under the new IDE, I restarted an earlier idea. That of making work a method of having a TI-83 Plus calculator respond to the input from the stamp. That idea devolves from here http://smallrobot.bizland.com/bs2ti.html where the author used a Stamp2 for the job.

I received then very good help from three people in translating the code produced. It (the code) needed to be translated from BS2 menmonics to those read by the BS1. The people were and in no particular order, one Jon Williams, and then Bruce Bates. And of course a nearly anonymous fellow from the Yahoo Groups place. The original idea was started by Rick Rowland of
Norland Research.

My code started off looking like:

' {$STAMP BS1}
' {$PBASIC 1.0}
SYMBOL serData = B2
Main:
SERIN 7, T2400, serData
'DEBUG serData
serData = serData + 1
'DEBUG serDATA
SEROUT 7, T2400, (serData)
DEBUG serDATA
GOTO Main
</CODE>
It turns out the early debug caused a different number to be displayed. Moving it towards the bottom of the program where it is now causes the proper one to be there.
As I have explored the interesting realm of connecting things to the stamp with that program in mind, currently it is an SN7437 Quad Nand gate buffer, with a red LED, and connected to pin 1 for the input, and pin 0 for the output. Program there:
' {$STAMP BS1}
' {$PBASIC 1.0}
SYMBOL serData = B2
Main:
SERIN 7, T2400, serData
DEBUG serData
serData = serData + 1
DEBUG serDATA
SEROUT 7, T2400, (serData)
DEBUG serDATA
OUTPUT 0
PIN0 = 1
DEBUG serDATA
PAUSE 500
PIN0 = 0
INPUT 1
DEBUG PIN1
GOTO Main
(I think those two lines above in the box are caused by CR entities, ignore them.)
After struggling with complex issues on a completely different platform whose only saving grace is that their forum is also inhabited by friendly capble people, I decided to make a return to the stamps. I've forgotten how much fun programming in BASIC can be regardless of which dialect it is.
For those of you wondering how the title meaning came about, it comes from the legend that the processors on the calculators were the Z80 and of course were 8-bit type processors.

It is also because this entire discussion will travel about eight different ones as they are explained and discussed by your friendly presenter.

Buck Rogers
www.gregg.levine.name

Comments

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2011-01-03 21:39
    It seems to be a strange thing here but:
    I actually put together that first one, from memory. And the program ran properly almost immediately.