Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Most Useless Machine — Parallax Forums

Most Useless Machine

FrohmanFrohman Posts: 10
edited 2011-11-08 23:03 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to make a most useless machine but I would like to know how i could make the basic stamp play a sound when the switch is flipped.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
MAGGOTS!

Comments

• Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2010-07-31 20:14
    what kind of sound and how many notes . the FREQOUT command is Very adaptable to many kinds of sounds . when mixed right .

Peter KG6LSE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Carpe Ducktum" "seize the tape!!"
    peterthethinker.com/tesla/Venom/Venom.html
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway. —Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
    LOL
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-07-31 23:47
    I'd suggest grabbing a copy of the Scribbler GUI www.parallax.com/tabid/458/Default.aspx and using the music block and then have the GUI export to a PBASIC file. Since Scribbler uses the Basic Stamp it should be re-usable with minor tweaks for another basic stamp application. It uses the FREQOUT command, but it has constants for all the musical tones and is pretty goof proof.

BTW I saw a cool variation on that in Make magazine. Here's a link to the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86V_ICUCD4&feature=related

That version uses only a 555 chip and a single servo. The neat thing is that it is actually turning itself off and has just enough power to go back in the box.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-08-01 15:01
    I know I can make one with just one motor and some switches, surely someone else has beat me to it. Or is this my opportunity to be first?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-08-01 20:59
    Someone has beat you to it. The Make article gave the directions for one built that way too.
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2010-08-03 23:41
    How about having one output drive one channel of a ULN2803.
    Connect that to a relay that applies power to an old Cassette Tape Recorder.
    Then you could record any speech from Obama, Clinton, Pelosi, anyone in Congress or The Senate.
    Have the Stamp Play it back and you will be treated to an endless supply of useless noise.
    Put a Hillary or Obama head fixed with some solenoids controled by the rest of the Stamp I/O and that would complete your 'Most Useless Machine'

Sorry I couldnt help my self...
    I hope I didnt ire the Moderator Gods too much!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Alan Bradford ·N1YMQ

Plasma Technologies
    Canaan NH 03741
    www.plasmatechnologies.com
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-08-04 15:03
    Alan Bradford LMAO its good to see someone else not afraid to offend the senses of these CULT like individuals .. I have never seen anything like it I remember even though I am fifty
    not watching the news anymore because they just couldn't stop blaming President Bush for anything I mean anything its was the most outrageous attack on a president imaginable not that he didn't bring some of it on but remember CNN would have a HUGE lighted score board in the back ground of every single broadcast showing the number of killed American soldiers
    in Iraq every day and night they trumped that in even broadcasts about anything like fashion designs then this guy I can't even mention his name becomes president and you never see that anyone more nothing,, had any soldier died since he became president Wow what an achievement there is no more deaths in Iraq of our soldiers he was on the news last night he actually stood up and said looking right at the camera he stated that and I quote " I fixed the economy" then he spewed off a million more things that he single handed fixed for us all on his own.. I don't know about where you are I am in CT I can't point in any direction and not be pointing at someone I know that is out of work we are dying here in the east I am so confused where did he fix the economy ?? Russia Anyway this will get deleted I just wanted to say you made me laugh
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-08-04 17:31
    This is just way too cool. I have to make one now, but I think I need to include something different like a Rube Goldberg Machine component or something so that it's not like all the others, but just as useless.

I saw on youtube last night that they are also called "leave me alone" boxes. Also, this youtube video has the switches of two of them linked together so they go back and forth.

Here's a good idea for the next Parallax contest.......

How ELABORATE can you make a Parallax based Most Useless Machine?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    PowerTwig Dual Output Power Supply Module
    My Prop projects: Reverse Geo-Cache Box, Custom Metronome, Micro Plunge Logger
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-11-06 13:05
    How ELABORATE can you make a Parallax based Most Useless Machine?
    Here's a benchmark to beat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQ5LsNMXZ4
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-11-07 16:51
    Franklin wrote: »
    Here's a benchmark to beat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQ5LsNMXZ4

Somebody had a LOT of time on their hands! Great vid! :-)
  • LevLev Posts: 182
    edited 2011-11-07 18:31
    mikediv wrote: »
    Alan Bradford LMAO its good to see someone else not afraid to offend the senses of these CULT like individuals .. I have never seen anything like it I remember even though I am fifty
    not watching the news anymore because they just couldn't stop blaming President Bush for anything I mean anything its was the most outrageous attack on a president imaginable not that he didn't bring some of it on but remember CNN would have a HUGE lighted score board in the back ground of every single broadcast showing the number of killed American soldiers
    in Iraq every day and night they trumped that in even broadcasts about anything like fashion designs then this guy I can't even mention his name becomes president and you never see that anyone more nothing,, had any soldier died since he became president Wow what an achievement there is no more deaths in Iraq of our soldiers he was on the news last night he actually stood up and said looking right at the camera he stated that and I quote " I fixed the economy" then he spewed off a million more things that he single handed fixed for us all on his own.. I don't know about where you are I am in CT I can't point in any direction and not be pointing at someone I know that is out of work we are dying here in the east I am so confused where did he fix the economy ?? Russia Anyway this will get deleted I just wanted to say you made me laugh

Oops on me. I am on the wrong forum. I thought this was about Basic Stamps.

Can't we keep politics on the politics sites?
    edited 2011-11-07 19:51
    I think I'll have have to make one of these useless machines for our two-year old twins. I bet they'll get a kick out of it. All-mechanical, just 2 switches and a diode!
    edited 2011-11-08 23:03
    90 minutes later... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Sfjt4nmF8 ... and the twins do love it!