Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How is the Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter wired? — Parallax Forums

How is the Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter wired?

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
edited 2010-09-01 17:42 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
I am again picking up where I decided to leave off on using the BS1 I've got here. This laptop came without the usual serial and parallel ports. It does have a pair of USB ports, and I've used the FTDI based ones from a neighboring firm for other functions not related to the BASIC Stampe family.

So my questions is one of, "How is the Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter wired?" is a good one. The serial (RS232) adapter has its own description.
And this one: "USB2SER (#28024) FTDI FT232BM USB to Serial Development Tool" mentions that its not intended for programming the stamps.
The same applies to:"USB2SER (#28024) FTDI FT232RQ USB to Serial Development Tool" also mentions that its also not intended for programming stamps as well. I might add that one is a nice refit of the earlier design.

What is interesting is that the current page for "BASIC Stamp 1 Serial Adapter (#27111)"no longer does list its hardware description directly. And it does comment that the "Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter" is suggested for talking to USB ports, as I've described above.

(I apologize for ranting here, but I've been away from stamps and the forum for a while now....)

Now eventually I'll be buying the ones I've described here, probably FT232RQ one and of course the dongle we are discussing here, but I'm looking for an easy fit here.

Buck Rogers
www.gregg.levine.name

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-31 00:58
    I have some EFX-TEK Prop-1 controllers which are BS1 Stamps with some extra stuff and I regularly use the USB to Serial Adapter with the BASIC Stamp 1 Serial Adapter. There's a link for the BASIC Stamp 1 Serial Adapter schematic (and other BS1 information) on the Parallax webstore page for the product. I've not seen a schematic for the USB to Serial Adapter, but I assume it's closely patterned after the reference design for the FTDI chip shown in FTDI's documentation.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2010-07-31 03:46

Mike Green said...
    I have some EFX-TEK Prop-1 controllers which are BS1 Stamps with some extra stuff and I regularly use the USB to Serial Adapter with the BASIC Stamp 1 Serial Adapter. There's a link for the BASIC Stamp 1 Serial Adapter schematic (and other BS1 information) on the Parallax webstore page for the product. I've not seen a schematic for the USB to Serial Adapter, but I assume it's closely patterned after the reference design for the FTDI chip shown in FTDI's documentation.
    Hello!
    Excellent Mike!!!! I checked the PDF files I have here for the FT232R, and found their sample application for RS232 connections for their beastie. It turns out that your idea was spot on as our friends across the pond might still be saying.

Strangely enough I had forgotten to save my original Stamp application for the TI-83Plus to Stamp1 program, and started searching through the original not archived collection of listings on that site. I had forgotten what an <Expletive deleted!> mess their idea of a search engine is.

I found an excellently rendered archival copy of the entire discussion between Jon Williams, and myself, and one or two others (Bruce B in fact) from approximately then. I also noted I was quoting two references from my favorite film.

Now I see why we migrated off of that blasted site.

Buck Rogers
    www.gregg.levine.name
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2010-09-01 17:42
    Hello!
    Excellent Mike!!!! I checked the PDF files I have here for the FT232R, and found their sample application for RS232 connections for their beastie. It turns out that your idea was spot on as our friends across the pond might still be saying.

Strangely enough I had forgotten to save my original Stamp application for the TI-83Plus to Stamp1 program, and started searching through the original not archived collection of listings on that site. I had forgotten what an <Expletive deleted!> mess their idea of a search engine is.

I found an excellently rendered archival copy of the entire discussion between Jon Williams, and myself, and one or two others (Bruce B in fact) from approximately then. I also noted I was quoting two references from my favorite film.

Now I see why we migrated off of that blasted site.

Buck Rogers
    www.gregg.levine.name

Hello!
    Well the USB to Serial converter we were discussing earlier, the one made by the firm to be used with their BS1 to serial programming adapter, arrived while I was away on vacation (YAY!).

However when connected to the stamp via that adapter, it causes the stamp to not be recognized by my wiring harness which is powered from the breadboard. (For those of you new to the party, back when this forum got started on the original software, I created a simple means of communicating with the stamp on its carrier by way of a classic 16 Pin IDC connectors, in a DIP array.)

But it works with a normal 9V battery connected to its connectors and a shared ground.

I guess I'll need to keep running things that way until I get it worked out further.

But the hairy part is that of the BS2, I wonder if the board I've selected but not ordered, it's the BS2 version of the project board that the BS1 is wearing in that photo, (those photos) will also do that.