Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New XBee SIP Adapter from Parallax($24.99) - you'll like this design! — Parallax Forums

New XBee SIP Adapter from Parallax($24.99) - you'll like this design!

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2010-07-28 19:21 in Accessories
www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CommunicationRF/tabid/161/ProductID/691/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Hey all,

We've just released a really high-quality, well-thought out design for the XBee modules. If you've ever wanted to just "plug it into a breadboard" this adapter is your solution. The key I/Os (Vss, Vdd, Sin, Sout, RTS) are ported to the right-angle header. All other XBee I/Os are available with solder pads. You can install a m/m or m/f header to access them.

And most importantly, this is the adapter that will be used in our future educational tutorials. It's 5V compliant and fully specified by our Education department.

It's priced at $24.99, which may seem a bit high to some people. However, it comes fully assembled and tested from our Rocklin, CA facility.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ParallaxKen for some insider news.

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-07-27 20:24
    Hello Ken,

It isn't clear from the picture but it looks like there are only 5 signals brought out to the 10-pin header and that each signal is on a pair of pins. I can see that would certainly help keep the module in place when plugging the module into a breadboard or socket with the extra row of pins.

Very nice! With all these cool adapters I am going to have to try out these XBee modules.

Robert
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-07-27 21:00
    Robert, exactly - you are correct. The front and back row of pins have the same signal. The dual-row configuration simply provides a stable mechanical connection.

You still want to use the other 433 mHz RF Linx modules for the current project you mentioned in the PM to me, right? I can get those out to you today. Let me know.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

• Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2010-07-27 21:01
    Thanks for announcing this, Ken!

RobotWorkshop, just to clarify, there are 5 signals brought out to the male 2x5 header:
    GND
    +5V
    DOUT
    DIN
    /RTS

(Yes the 2x5 pin arrangement was chosen for stability, after we witnessed kids trying to use our 433 MHz transceiver modules like joysticks on a robot tilt-controller application at the State Fair. )

5 more pins are accessible through a female header that is already installed:
    ASSOC
    RSSI
    /RST
    SLP
    /CTS

All the above pins are buffered.

The last 10 pins are NOT buffered, but they are accessible from the plated through-holes, so you have the option to add another header:
    IO0
    IO1
    IO2
    IO3
    IO4
    IO5
    IO6
    IO7
    VREF
    PWM1

One extra through-hole was added: 3.3 V output for ADC reference when needed.

Hope this helps!
    -Steph
  • Jay B. HarlowJay B. Harlow Posts: 79
    edited 2010-07-27 23:05
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CommunicationRF/tabid/161/ProductID/691/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Hey all,

We've just released a really high-quality, well-thought out design for the XBee modules. If you've ever wanted to just "plug it into a breadboard" this adapter is your solution. The key I/Os (Vss, Vdd, Sin, Sout, RTS) are ported to the right-angle header. All other XBee I/Os are available with solder pads. You can install a m/m or m/f header to access them.

And most importantly, this is the adapter that will be used in our future educational tutorials. It's 5V compliant and fully specified by our Education department.

It's priced at $24.99, which may seem a bit high to some people. However, it comes fully assembled and tested from our Rocklin, CA facility.

Cool! just what I wanted! Should work much nicer with the (Propeller)·proto board & demo boards for some of my experiments.

The XBee adapter board was being hard to fit, so I ran some jumper wires between the the demo board & adapter board.

Their on my wish list, now to have payday get here (& some extra cash hopefully).

Thanks
    Jay
  • Jay B. HarlowJay B. Harlow Posts: 79
    edited 2010-07-27 23:10
    Oh! forgot to ask.

How hard would it be to remove the right angle headers and put in straight headers from the bottom? Same with the 5 pin female header, have 5 pin male header below.

With the right angle the board will stick up vertically too high, I would like the board horizontal (parrallel) to the main board with the XBee on top...

Maybe as an option don't solder the headers, or just don't include the headers?

Either ways, thanks! I'm sure I will be ordering 2 or 3 in the next month or two.

Thanks
    Jay
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2010-07-27 23:27
    This looks like a much more flexible adapter board. I'm glad the Sleep pin (DI8) is handled by the 74LVC244A and the LM2937 voltage regulator handles 500mA versus the 100mA from the FAN2500 regulator on the earlier adapter.

Great job!
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2010-07-28 00:31
    Is the part number 74lyc244 correct on the drawing for the new XBEE plug in adapter.

I was looking for some info on it and nothing back on google or Digikey. 74lc244 yes but not

the number on the drawing.

Thank's

Tom
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2010-07-28 00:43
    Documentation says power requirements are 3.3 to 5.0 volts. How would one use 3.3 volts? Apply it to the right angle power connector or somewhere else?

John Abshier
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-07-28 02:39
    I saw this yesterday in the draft of the XBee document's chapter two. Glad to see the real thing so quickly.

Not that I'm complaining, but it's a little odd for a device with a 2 rows of pins referred to as the "SIP Adapter", isn't it?
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2010-07-28 17:17
    Hello everyone! Lots of questions here, let me see if I can help answer them.

@Jay: All of the headers are hand-soldered by our wonderful manufacturing folks, so I'm not sure how easy they would be to remove. This product was mainly designed for educational use, since as you mentioned the other boards take up a lot of breadboard 'real estate' and would take up a lot of space on a Boe-Bot's breadboard. It also puts some strain on most teachers to solder every board needed for classroom use (and many high schools don't have soldering options available to students), it's easiest to have everything pre-assembled so teachers can use everything straight out of the bag.

@tdlivings: The part number is correct in the schematic: 74LVC244A. I can see where the font used makes the 'V' look like a 'Y' though!

@John: The supply voltage should be 5V, we've fixed that now, thanks for pointing it out. With a 5V supply, the board is still compatible with the Propeller, since the XBee is a 3.3V device as well, and all output from the XBee to Propeller will be at 3.3V.

@sylvie: Since the dual rows connect to the same pins on the board and are only there for stability, we figured it fell into a 'gray area' of naming conventions and still could qualify as a SIP Adapter. Just think of it as getting more bang for your buck. ;]

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions!

-- Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax Inc.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-07-28 19:21
    @Jay, I'll visit the manufacturing line and pull a few aside for you prior to installation of the headers. From my experience you don't want to remove them - you'll possibly end up with solder-loaded holes and a board that's not really reflective of the best use of your money.

E-mail me your shipping information and we'll figure out how to get these to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.