Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Garage Door Opener Using 433 MHz Transceiver — Parallax Forums

Garage Door Opener Using 433 MHz Transceiver

simpsonmichael1simpsonmichael1 Posts: 13
edited 2010-07-28 16:49 in Accessories
27982-M.jpg
RF·433 Mhz Transciever module.· Other than the what's provided on the website, is there a simple way to use these to control a switch remotely?· I looked over the documentation, but I'm· not sure where to start.· I called Parallax Tech Support, but I was told to check the documents located under the part in question.· As a beginner, I did not really understand how to use this transceiver as a remote control device.· This was going to be used to remotely open a garage door, but I had to settle on a simple RFID access method.· Could someone address a simple example other than what on the website?· Thank you.·

Post Edited (simpsonmichael1) : 7/27/2010 12:25:02 PM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-07-26 22:13
    This is a communications device and as such sends serial data so you will need something on the recieving end that will take the data and make decisions with it. If you are looking for something that throws a switch when it gets a signal this is not the device you are looking for (OB1). How were you planning to use it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • simpsonmichael1simpsonmichael1 Posts: 13
    edited 2010-07-26 22:45
    ··· I have two BS2 units and two transceivers.· I will program in basic via my laptop.· A 5 volt relay on the local end will be engaged with a basic stamp·via a transitor (protected by a diode).· Currently, my RFID is controlled by a basic stamp, which controls the garage door·via transitor-relay pair.· So, I want to add a local/remote transceiver to control the garage door from a 10 to 100 feet LOS.· Please advise.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-07-27 00:07
    Add a subject line to your post, please.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ParallaxKen for some insider news.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-27 00:33
    Have you looked at the sample code provided on the Parallax webstore page for the transceiver?· It's written to transmit a text message with error checking.· Your application is a little simpler in that you have only two messages, "on" and "off".· The error checking is still useful.
    edited 2010-07-27 12:26
    Mike Green,

I will revisit the webstore and adjust the code to do an on/off with error checking. Thank you.

Mike Simpson
    edited 2010-07-27 14:16
    I request clarification on the 433 MHz transceiver code for the transmit/ receive. I need a breakdown of what this is doing:

SERIN 0, 16468, [noparse][[/noparse]Wait ("!"), x.HIGHBYTE, X.LOWBYTE, Y.HIGHBYTE, Y.LOWBYTE]

I was trying to determine how the above is also related to the outputdata, pace, Tpin, and baudmode. What is “!” used for as related to the code block
    [noparse][[/noparse]Wait ( “!&#8221[noparse];)[/noparse], X.HIGHBYTE, X.LOWBYTE, Y.HIGHBYTE, Y.LOWBYTE ] ?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-07-27 16:05
    SERIN is instructed to wait until it recieves a "!" from the sender then input 4 bytes of data which will be converted to two words "x" and "y". The "!" is there so the stamp knows where the data starts since there is no buffer on the stamp for serial input.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-07-28 16:49
    Good Morning Stephen,

Thank you for the explanation. Now, this actually makes sense to me.

Mike