Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee Tutorial - Chapter 2 Draft "Parallax XBee Adapter Boards" — Parallax Forums

XBee Tutorial - Chapter 2 Draft "Parallax XBee Adapter Boards"

Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
edited 2010-07-27 15:56 in Accessories
Hi Everyone,

Attached is the draft of Chapter 2, enabled for commenting in Adobe Reader. See the Chapter 1 thread for more info about the project. Feedback is welcome!

An index to all of the chapter draft posts is included in the Wireless Index stickly thread.

-Steph Lindsay
Editor, Parallax Inc.

Post Edited (Steph Lindsay (Parallax)) : 7/27/2010 10:39:56 PM GMT

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-07-26 20:34
    On the very first page is an information box about a Rev. 2 board. There's a typo. It reads
    XBee doc ch 2 said...
    This section pertains to the XBee 5V/3,3V Adapter Board Rev A. A Rev B board is in development, that will have I/) buffering and LED configurations
    That should, of course, say "I/O buffering".

A later information box reads
    XBee doc ch 2 said...
    CAUTION!
    VCC may be used as a 3.3V supply output, but the FAN2500S33X regulator used on the adapter is only rated at 100mA continuous, 300mA peak current..
    It would be helpful here to point out that the transmit current of the "Pro" XBee is over 200 mA, and therefore that this board should not be used in an application in which an XBee Pro transmits constantly or nearly constantly. The beginner may not know why he or she is being warned about the regulator output.

On page 22, in the list of pin connections, the "I" in "RSSI" seems to be underlined, and not in bold.

On page 23:
    XBee doc ch 2 said...
    Beware of Dueling Power Supplies!
    Take care with all boards that two sources of powers are not applied, such as connecting both 5V AND 3.3V

supplies. Damaging current will flow between the two sources.

How about "that two sources of power [noparse][[/noparse]not "powers"] are not applied at the same time...". This comes up again later in the chapter as well.

On page 25 is
    XBee doc ch 2 said...
    Red: USB Transmit

Green: USB Receiver

I believe the second should be "Receive", not "Receiver".

Post Edited (sylvie369) : 7/26/2010 8:44:49 PM GMT
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2010-07-27 15:56
    Thanks for the detailed proofread, Sylvie! I really appreciate it.

-Steph