Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee's worked and now they don't! HELP!!! — Parallax Forums

XBee's worked and now they don't! HELP!!!

UWSPUWSP Posts: 15
edited 2010-08-24 16:54 in BASIC Stamp
I have one Xbee that is hooked up to a basic stamp via a 5/3.3 V adapter and another hooked up directly to a pc via a USB adapter. I am using the X-CTU software on the PC side. I was having trouble with them not working and all of a sudden they worked! The range test, send and receive, and stapDAQ all worked. 5 minutes later they didn't work at all! No data transmission whats so ever [noparse]:([/noparse] I am so confused right now. Has anyone ever encountered this?

Comments

• UWSPUWSP Posts: 15
    edited 2010-07-26 01:04
    these are XBee pro 60mW chip series
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-07-26 01:08
    If they worked and then quit I would check your connections and make sure they are set up correctly. Hook them both (one at a time) to the pc and make sure the settings and software versions are correct. Attach your code even thought that probably is not your problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-07-26 15:10
    will do. is it possible that one of my XBee's are dead? When I do the range test both blue lights on the adapter's both light up and when I stop it they both turn off.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-07-26 16:10
    UWSP said...
    is it possible that one of my XBee's are dead?
    Anything is possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-07-27 01:14
    what should my settings be through the X-CTU software for simple transmission? For I/O settings and network settings especially.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-07-27 03:24
    UWSP - I usually set them both to 9600 bps and the same channel. From there it's a matter of serial I/O communication.

If you have a USB board I'd also try to communicate from PC to microcontroller.

You could also take a look at our new tutorials in the wireless forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ParallaxKen for some insider news.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-07-27 09:37
    Are you able to communicate with them through XCTU? It's not clear what's not working.
    edited 2010-07-29 13:09
    X-CTU recognizes both controllers and is able to program them. To me it makes no sense, they worked and then they didn't without any changes made. When I connect the usb adapter up to PLX-DAQ, and do the simple PLX-DAQ on the micro controller t do get the "data" light in the PLX-DAQ to blink but no data is transferred. Is there a way to reset them to see it that does it?
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-07-29 13:19
    If you can talk with them through XCTU then it's not a matter of the communication between the XBee and the computer, and it's almost certain that the XBees themselves are fine.

Using XCTU, find and show us these settings for the two modules:

MY
    DL
    ID
    CH

For example, attached are the settings for one of mine.

MY - 0
    DL - 0
    ID - 3332
    CH - C

These need to be set correctly for one XBee to talk with another. If they're set correctly on yours, then the culprit is probably the code that's supposed to send the data out to PLX-DAQ, not the XBees.
    466 x 586 - 73K
    edited 2010-07-29 13:44
    That is all the same for MY, DL, ID and CH. What does Coordinator need to be set to? different for the usb adapter vs. micro controller?
    edited 2010-07-29 14:10
    now I can get numbers to show in the debug terminal when I do a simple rx code and the range test, but not any further.
    edited 2010-08-24 08:33
    Turned out it was a bad pin either on the BS2 or the connection from the BS2 to the stamp.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-08-24 16:54
    UWSP wrote: »
    Turned out it was a bad pin either on the BS2 or the connection from the BS2 to the stamp.

I would look for data collions in your code. I would also use resisters between I/O pins untill I found the problem, or you could burn out some more I/O pins.