Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Why the new WIRELESS forum? — Parallax Forums

Why the new WIRELESS forum?

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2010-08-04 16:15 in Accessories
Hey there!

We created this new forum because of an increase in forum questions related to wireless. Here's what's going on:
  • Getting Started with XBee RF Modules - A Tutorial for BASIC Stamp and Propeller Microcontrollers will soon be released on this forum, chapter by chapter in PDF. We've been working with Marty Hebel of Southern Illinois University to prepare a tutorial to help all of our customers use the XBee RF modules and Parallax adapter boards.
  • Parallax WiFi Module is finally nearing production. This module will support wireless programming and internet control of our BASIC Stamp/Propeller products. Software completion is planned for the end of July.
  • Parallax GSM/GPRS Module is in prototype stage. This module will support data exchange via GSM.
  • Miscellaneous RF-related topics of interest would also have a home in this forum. For example: using the Prop BackPack with 2m radios; RF product design considerations, etc.

I'm sure there's more. We look forward to the evolution of this new forum!

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ParallaxKen for some insider news.

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2010-07-23 14:59
    Hey! This forum should have been the first new forum on the new forum software, not the last new forum on the old forum software!

Ken or Jim: How's the forum project going?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-07-23 21:17
    It's very gratifying that the forums manage to stay abreast of forumistas' interests! This particular category is a most welcome (and timely!) addition to the forum lineup and dovetails nicely with my own current interests. Thanks, Parallax!

The first thing I might propose for this forum is a sticky with links to wireless topics in the Propeller and other forums. Here are some of my own to get started:

Hook an antenna to your Propeller, and listen to the radio!
    Bell 202 Modem (1200-baud AFSK) Object
    This'll clean your clock! -- and calm your jitters
    Propeller-mediated sine wave frequency synthesizer

Here's an interesting thread dealing with PSK31:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=873304

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 7/23/2010 10:21:28 PM GMT
  • zoopydogsitzoopydogsit Posts: 174
    edited 2010-07-25 23:07
    Hi Ken,

I can't wait to get my hands on the WiFi module :-)·I've been looking at the ones from Sparkfun, but felt they were a bit expensive for anything other than a one off. I've since been looking at WiFi chipsets used in USB WiFi dongles to see if they could be hacked to be used with the Propeller.

Any chance of a pre-release look at the specs? Are they a standard 802.11G? Will they implement WPA? What is the ball park price?

A suggestion for these new devices is to run a competition. That should build interest in the devices, and depending on the criteria of the competition it could further their market. For example, if the criteria required that entries need to be documented at a level that could be published in Hack-A-Day or magazine (nuts'n'volts), and other publications, then it would give a greater level of exposure.

Very excited!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It's all a function of time.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-07-26 05:48
    @John R, Jim (IT Guy) has scheduled the vBulletin upgrade for August 4th.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ParallaxKen for some insider news.
    edited 2010-07-26 11:00
    Cool beans! The countdown has started...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2010-07-26 18:16
    Glad to see the new forum.· Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • hobeauhobeau Posts: 9
    edited 2010-07-27 17:47
    Wow I'm very very excited about the GSM/GPRS Module. How close is this to production? How soon till we can get our hands on the wifi? Thanks!!!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-07-31 07:00
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Hey there!

We created this new forum because of an increase in forum questions related to wireless. ...

OMG! Are guys psychic?

I didn't even know this forum had been created. And all this week I've been going crazy wiring up sensor after sensor, plugboard upon plugboard, harness within harness, all of which must rotate 200 degrees without snapping or getting tangled, and me dreaming of an easy way to do away with all these @$%#ing snakes of wire.

So many wires I was beginning to feel like this guy:

Clash-Of-The-Titans-2010.jpg

Maybe there's Hope somewhere in the future.
    edited 2010-08-04 16:15
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    @John R, Jim (IT Guy) has scheduled the vBulletin upgrade for August 4th.

Is today still the day?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.