Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stupid Questions about XBee and 5V/3.3V Adapter — Parallax Forums

Stupid Questions about XBee and 5V/3.3V Adapter

SSchafferSSchaffer Posts: 12
edited 2010-07-26 01:03 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!
···· I'm a relative electronics novice, but I'm trying to set up communications between 2 BS2 OEM Boards that have XBee 5V/3.3V Adapters with regular XBees (not Pro) and I have some questions:

1. I was powering the BS2 Boards and XBees through the unused +5V and Gnd terminal blocks on an Access Control Panel. I don't know what the Current was, but this was at work, and I have been having trouble getting everything to work, so I thought that I'd bring everything home with me for my long weekend. I didn't bring the Access Control board home with me, though. Instead, I brought home a Switching·Adapter that outputs 5V DC, but at 1 Amp (The Input says 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz .2A. I was going to cut the end off the Adapter and attach it to a Solderless Breadboard, when it occurred to me that although it says 5V, the 1 Amp output may be too much for the BS2 OEM Boards and the XBee 5V/3.3V Adapters. I can't seem to find anything about Current Limits for the devices, though the XBee Documentation says that the RX Current is 50 mA.
·· I suppose it's foolish, but I also have a BS2 Homework Board. Would it be·a better idea·to put a new 9V battery into it, program it to have a bunch of pins to be high, and power the devices through those pins on the Homework board?

2. I'm not sure if I soldered the XBee 5V/3.3V Adapters correctly, but when I insert the XBees, attach wires to the DOut, DIn, RTS, Gnd and then Vdd. The Blue Power light is on for a moment, but doesn't stay on. Is this proper? The Yellow light stays on and so does the Green light. The Red light is flashing, however. What does the Red light (RSSI) mean when it flashes?

3. Is the RTS pin necessary? It's not in the Program examples I saw in the 5V/3.3V Adapter document. When I try transmitting a series of numbers, the Receiving BS2 is giving me odd numbers in the Debug window, so I'm wondering if there is a timing issue.

···· Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Scott

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-07-23 03:43
    Too many questions all at once. I'll answer the power one. You need to supply regulated 5vdc to the chip and the amperage needs to be as much or more than what your devices need. The stamp and most other devices will only take what they need and the rest is left in reserve. If you're not sure you wired your adapter correctly go back and recheck it. Don't power it up until you know it's right if you don't want to be buying parts again. Hook them up wrong and in most cases they won't give you a second chance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • SSchafferSSchaffer Posts: 12
    edited 2010-07-26 01:03
    Hi,
    Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your answer regarding the Current. I tried using the 5V, 1A Power Adapter and it worked fine. The XBee Adapters are working fine. I think that the Blue light on the 5V/3.3V Adapter has something to do with having a Serial cable connected to it, because it was on constantly when I had the serial cable connected to the Basic Stamp when I was getting ready to program it. It was on only periodically when I removed the Serial Cable to program the other BS2.

Anyway, I got the Xbees to provide communication between the BS2 boards, so I'll work up to RTS. Thanks for your assistance!

Scott