Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Getting started with this project — Parallax Forums

Getting started with this project

amp27amp27 Posts: 2
edited 2010-07-22 03:21 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Getting started and lost. I don't know where to begin or even post this project. Maybe you can help me.

so here is what needs to be done.

i need to be able to open and close a circuit with no wires and hands free and only when in range.
people are trying to guess what im doing right now

what i am doing is:

trying to add a bit of security to my car. right now my car is using switches to turn on and off. anybody can get in my car, flip switches and push a button and drive off. i wanna add something that will close the "on" circuit for the computer and stuff in the car. but only if i'm in range of the car.

so really its like a could put a thing in my wallet and the other thing in line of that circiut and have it open and close the circuit.

the best part. my friends getting in the car. driving 20 feet. and having the car shut off. priceless.

when talking to digikey a lady there recommended FRID stuff and that looks spend y. idk what to do. maybe i need to think of something else to do this.

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-07-21 17:45
    If you are familiar with Basic Stamp programming, then a Parallax RFID reader may be right for you:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=924375

You can find these on sale at Radio Shack stores for $9.99 and they come with 2 cards. The reading distance is only about and inch, so it would have to be mounted in a window to be useable.

Jim
    amp27 said...
    Getting started and lost. I don't know where to begin or even post this project. Maybe you can help me.

i need to be able to open and close a circuit with no wires and hands free and only when in range.

what i am doing is:

trying to add a bit of security to my car. right now my car is using switches to turn on and off. anybody can get in my car, flip switches and push a button and drive off. i wanna add something that will close the "on" circuit for the computer and stuff in the car. but only if i'm in range of the car.

so really its like a could put a thing in my wallet and the other thing in line of that circiut and have it open and close the circuit.

the best part. my friends getting in the car. driving 20 feet. and having the car shut off. priceless.

when talking to digikey a lady there recommended FRID stuff and that looks spend y. idk what to do. maybe i need to think of something else to do this.
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-07-21 18:32
    Or if you need a longer range, a keyless entry system could be adapted.

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=2206

Jim
    amp27 said...

what i am doing is:

• amp27amp27 Posts: 2
    edited 2010-07-22 03:21
    10 buck! the lady at digikey was showing me hit that where 200 plus.

and and inch range is fine. i just put it under some panel in the car and then just like have it on my keys and set my keys down over it.

still lost. im good with A/V stuff and basic circuits but this is a step.