Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
old dog needs to learn new tricks — Parallax Forums

old dog needs to learn new tricks

zippyflounderzippyflounder Posts: 38
edited 2010-07-16 20:57 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all, old guy here (55) and I need to get up to speed on the stamp fast. I have a bs2 unit and my task is to build a controller for a custom microwave oven. I learned html long ago, but that's it as far as software. I know electronics inside and out but the brains, not so much. What would you recommend as a fast track tutorial?

thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-16 18:01
    Make sure you have the current Stamp Editor from Parallax's download page (Stamp Software) and look in the help files. You'll find a copy of "What's a Microcontroller?" as well as other tutorials. The "Basic Analog and Digital" tutorial is also helpful. I think it's included in the help files. If not, you can download it from the "Stamps in Class Tutorials" section of the downloads webpages. If you click on the Resources tab on Parallax's main webpage, you'll find a link to their Nuts and Volts Columns index. Column #6 is helpful for using a Stamp to control a relay or solenoid. There are other columns on things like using keypads or real time clocks. There's also lots of sample code. Always check the webstore pages for products carried by Parallax for links to documentation and sample code.
  • zippyflounderzippyflounder Posts: 38
    edited 2010-07-16 18:25
    thanks, I know what a micro-controller is lol, but in the past i just put together a flow chart and let some young whippersnapper bash and burn. Time are tight, no money for whippersnappers so the old dog reluctantly must learn new tricks.
    edited 2010-07-16 18:41
    "What's a Microcontroller?" is actually more useful for you than you might think from the title. It demonstrates how to read switches and control things as well as showing how to program and what the various statements in PBasic do.
  • zippyflounderzippyflounder Posts: 38
    edited 2010-07-16 20:52
    thanks where would the sample code be found?
    edited 2010-07-16 20:57
    Sample code demonstrating the use of a particular product is usually found via links from the Parallax webstore page for the product. Some other sample code is found in the various Stamps in Class tutorials. Click on the Downloads button on the main Parallax webpage. Other examples are in the Nuts and Volts Columns. Click on the Resources button on the main Parallax webpage. It depends on what you're looking for.