Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Locosys GPS Module with compass and 3 axis accelerometer — Parallax Forums

Locosys GPS Module with compass and 3 axis accelerometer

WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
edited 2010-07-28 03:01 in Accessories
Since I am still have a few GPS based projects on the backburner, I check in on new modules as I can. I just found this new one at Sparkfun and I can't stop thinking of the possibilities for it. The LOCOSYS LS20126 GPS smart antenna module is a high sensitivity, low power,SMD type, 20 channel with built-in magnetic sensor, 3-axial acceleration sensor, L1 GPS receiver, and 10mm patch antenna. WOW!!!

Check it out:
www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9838

However, my two projects on the backburner are being designed for very low cost, so I am planning on finding a replacement for Parallax's $25 PMB-248 module since it was discontinued.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Andrew Williams
WBA Consulting
PowerTwig Dual Output Power Supply Module
My Prop projects: Reverse Geo-Cache Box, Custom Metronome, Micro Plunge Logger

Comments

• LarryGLarryG Posts: 50
    edited 2010-07-23 12:54
    Got excited about the prospects of this so bought one. Now I find the datasheet lacking a bit of basics. Maybe stuff I should be able to figure out if I give it some thought. But things like "which direction is X, Y, and Z for the accelerometer". Does the antenna need to point straight up at the sky to work, or can it be pointing forward and still get a good signal. And how is the compass chip positioned. And should I assume nothing should cover any portion of the silver casing (such as I should not mount a display in the enclosure such that it would be over a portion of the GPS circuitry since the compass chip is probably in there?)

I asked Locosys for some details, they replied back with several really cool 3D drawings of the device. But the drawings did not indicate anything I was looking for. But they looked cool.

My next step of course is to fire it up and use a terminal program to read the raw data. I hope by moving the GPS around I can figure out where stuff is positioned and its orientation.

LarryG.
  • LarryGLarryG Posts: 50
    edited 2010-07-28 03:01
    @Andy Williams - you gotta try one of these, they are really cool. I can't believe how tiny it is, and still pulls in a solid fix.

OK, got the thing putting out the basic NMEA strings. Have it working with GPS_Str_NMEA.spin v1.0 │ Author: I.K