Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
reading data sent to an SD card — Parallax Forums

reading data sent to an SD card

Engineer09Engineer09 Posts: 16
edited 2010-07-15 01:42 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I'm tasked with interfacing a medical device with a microcontroller. The device consists of a transmitter that streams encrypted data to a base unit, which then displays the data at a reduced resolution on an LCD (updates every 5 min) and also sends the data to an SD card for later transfer to a PC for analysis. The data sent to the SD card is sampled every 30s and so has an order of magnitude better resolution than what is displayed on the LCD. The data sent to the SD card, assuming it is unencrypted, would correspond to one of four possible symbols. So, the amount of data is really very small e.g. Sample rate of 2 Hz. Is there any way to tap into the data being sent to the SD card? I've come across some break out boards for SD cards on sparkfun.com for instance. I'm also waiting for my parallax usb data logger to arrive. So, would it be possible to use an sd card to usb adapter to connect from this medical device to a stamp (via the data logger) and read data (continuously) so as to trigger some external device (light or sound) depending on which of the four characters is received? Thanks!

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2010-07-13 20:10
    I have a couple of Vinculum VDIP1 USB Host modules (very similar to to the Parallax Datalogger).
    I currently have one hooked up to an Arduino along with a COMEDIA C328R camera module to store JPEG images.

Instead of using a typical thumbdrive, I tried using a USB SD card reader (Sandisk SDDR-113) and the VDIP1 handled it with no problem.

Not sure if any/all USB SD readers wil work, but this one did.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-07-14 16:27
    Parallax micro SD adapter is DoD for $9: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CommunicationRF/tabid/161/ProductID/597/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2010-07-14 21:59
    Has anyone documented how to us the Parallax micro SD adapter with a Basic Stamp?

The documentation only mentions Propellers and the description says "not compatible with the BASIC Stamps"

Post Edited (Ron Czapala) : 7/14/2010 10:04:19 PM GMT
  • StormKing09StormKing09 Posts: 29
    edited 2010-07-15 01:42
    As you said, the micro SD adapter will not work with the BASIC Stamp. I would go with the USB adapter from parallax. look in the same section as the SD adapter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·The Flames of the Heart Cannot be Quenched!