Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
max basic stamp 2 baud rate? — Parallax Forums

max basic stamp 2 baud rate?

Engineer09Engineer09 Posts: 16
edited 2010-07-13 22:38 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I need to interface a consumer electronic medical device with a microcontroller. Basically, I'm trying to tap into the LCD display signal, which should be relatively straightforward, as I need to only breakout the RX and GND pins. The specs on the device to interface with are:
"57600baud, 8bit, no parity, 1 stop bit serial commands." The data being sent to the display would basically be a character, refreshed every 5 minutes - so quite a meager amount of data.
My question: can the basic stamp handle such a transfer rate? I've come across some postings claiming max reliable operation at 9600 baud while others claim it to be higher, especially for certain module types like the bs2p.
I've had to synchronize baud rates before using the SERIN command when I was receiving data from a radio transceiver but can't recall the highest baud rate I used...
Thanks!

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-07-13 19:51
    I think the BS2 'plain' maxes out at 9600 baud. More 'advanced' flavors like the 'p' might be able to do it.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-13 22:38
    All of the Stamps will transmit reliably faster than they can receive. The BS2px is the fastest and can receive at 19.2KB, probably transmit ok at 38.4KB. The other Stamps can receive at 9600 Baud although the BS2 can be flakey at 9600 Baud, particularly when using the formatters like DEC and HEX. They might be able to transmit at 19.2KB. The actual data rate is somewhat less with pauses between characters at times, particularly with the use of the formatters.