Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Microcontroller chip?? — Parallax Forums

Microcontroller chip??

eternalisteternalist Posts: 8
edited 2010-07-11 16:23 in Robotics
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, or if this would even apply to any of these forums. Lately I've been enjoying taking old electronics apart to see if I can salvage any of the parts. Anyways, recently I took apart what looked to be a X10 security system "brain" or some type of central unit. inside I found a number of i/c's and various parts. one of the ic's caught my eye because it had a 'PIC' prefix and I have heard of PIC microcontrollers. when I looked up the part online I found that it is a microcontroller (at least I think it is). Anyways, what exactly is this chip? What types of stuff could I do with it? Mainly I want to know if I could build a circuit that would allow me to program and interface it with my pc. Here are the details and a link to the datasheet.

chip serial# PIC16C54-XT/P

link to data sheet pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/74994/MICROCHIP/PIC16C54-XT/P.html

Thanks in advance everyone!

Ben

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-07-10 22:45
    The 16C54 is a very old micro-controller. You'll find it much easier to use something more modern.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
  • eternalisteternalist Posts: 8
    edited 2010-07-10 23:25
    Ok, thanks for the confirmation that it is a Microcontroller. I really don't mind that it is old. I'm not wishing to build anything that is remotely state-of-the-art. I just wanted to use it to experiment with. When you say that there are other Microcontrollers that are easier to work with, what do you mean exactly? can anyone direct me to where I could find a schematic that I could build where I could program this Microcontroller?

Ben
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-11 00:09
    You will have to do some research through Microchip's archives for datasheets, application notes, and other information on the PIC16C54. You will find sample programming circuits. Start with this list: www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010121.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-07-11 10:30
    Unless the chip is in a CERDIP package (with a little window) you won't be able to reprogram it. If it is, you will need a programmer and a UV eraser. Both can be purchased or built. The modern equivalent of it is the PIC16F88, it costs about $3 in small quantities. That can be programmed and debugged with the $35 PICkit2.

Here is a very old web page of mine that might help:

webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/pic_starter.html

and here is a simple DIY programmer:

webspace.webring.com/people/jl/leon_heller/pic.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM

Post Edited (Leon) : 7/11/2010 10:42:42 AM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-07-11 16:23
    The core chip of the BS2 'plain' is also a 16C54. This is a one-time-programmable device -- so you won't be able to do much with the one you have.

I find the 16F876 to be a much nicer PIC platform, though even that is 'dated' now.

Just be very aware, "It's the cheap man who spends the most". The intellectual value of this stuff is MUCH larger than the price you pay for the physical hardware. So trying to reuse physical hardware because it's free can be MUCH more difficult than buying a new chip for $5, or even a proven board like the BOE for $100.