Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need a good USB to serial adapter for win7 — Parallax Forums

Need a good USB to serial adapter for win7

Bruce KingBruce King Posts: 12
edited 2010-07-10 19:39 in BASIC Stamp
From what I have read the cheap USB to Serial adaptors will not work with many things including windows 7.

I have a BS2p40 that needs uploading but I now have a new 64 bit PC and its been a few years since I uploaded the stamp.
I still have stamp editor 2.0 and stamp2.exe· dated 3-25-2004

Do I need a new 64 bit stamp.exe file too?

Advice is appreciated!

Post Edited (Bruce King) : 7/10/2010 5:03:27 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-10 17:25
    1) Upgrade to the latest Stamp Editor from Parallax's download webpage. It should work fine with Windows 7 and 64-bit PCs. Look here: www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx.

2) Most cheap USB to serial adapters don't work for uploading to Parallax's Stamp no matter what Windows version you're using. Use one that has the FTDI chipset, like those from FTDI or Parallax. It's really hard to find one cheaper than this from Parallax: www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/378/Default.aspx?txtSearch=USB+serial.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2010-07-10 17:39
    I have a few Including the Parrlax one one , but My main workhorse is the KeySpan( now tripplight) USB19H as is the best inclass with WIN OSX and Linux suport .

it has a detachable cord and is well made for hevey use ..

Peter KG6LSE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Carpe Ducktum" "seize the tape!!"
    peterthethinker.com/tesla/Venom/Venom.html
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway. —Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
    LOL
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-07-10 18:34
    If you get one with an FTDI chip you should be OK, as Mike said. I'm still using one I bought many years ago with my new laptop (Win7 x64); all I had to do to get it to work was to download and install the latest drivers from the FTDI web site. It works with everything I've tried, including Propeller boards, and different terminal emulators.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM

Post Edited (Leon) : 7/10/2010 6:40:31 PM GMT
  • Bruce KingBruce King Posts: 12
    edited 2010-07-10 19:19
    Mike Green said...
    1) Upgrade to the latest Stamp Editor from Parallax's download webpage. It should work fine with Windows 7 and 64-bit PCs. Look here: www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx.

2) Most cheap USB to serial adapters don't work for uploading to Parallax's Stamp no matter what Windows version you're using. Use one that has the FTDI chipset, like those from FTDI or Parallax. It's really hard to find one cheaper than this from Parallax: www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/378/Default.aspx?txtSearch=USB+serial.
    thanks, I looked at that one from Parallax but they do not offer a regular mail option for small items, they want about $14 for shipping.
    Found the same identical one at hobbyengineering·for $4 shipping· : )

Post Edited (Bruce King) : 7/10/2010 7:37:38 PM GMT
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-07-10 19:37
    Bruce, run the checkout again. There is an option to use USPS. I just checked and it would cost $0.57 the ship to me.

Be sure and use the newest tool at:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx

Jim

Bruce King said...
    Mike Green said...

thanks, I looked at that one from Parallax but they do not offer a regular mail option for small items, they want about $14 for shipping.

Found the same identical one at hobbyengineering for $4 shipping : )
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-07-10 19:39
    hover1 said...
    Bruce, run the checkout again. There is an option to use USPS. I just checked and it would cost $0.57 the ship to me.

Be sure and use the newest tool at:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx

Opps.! Mike already said that.

Jim

Bruce King said...
    Mike Green said...

Found the same identical one at hobbyengineering for $4 shipping : )