Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Yacht race timer — Parallax Forums

Yacht race timer

Capt.KerryCapt.Kerry Posts: 28
edited 2010-07-13 13:46 in Robotics
Hi, not sure if this is strictly a robot but I thought I'd ask anyway. I want to build a button activated timer that counts down the 3 minute start of a yacht race. Every minute a horn sounds and a different colored strobe activates. The whole thing obviously has to be 12v powered and waterproof. I wrote some basic code for a BS2 and used a piezo buzzer and some LEDs to see if it would be accurate enough without using a timer. Now I have to ramp it up and build the real thing. I'm not sure about what relays to use for the horn and lights. Also is there any point in trying to waterproof a readout of some kind to show the countdown in progress? Remote control activation? It needs to be bullet proof. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Adam WieslerAdam Wiesler Posts: 81
    edited 2010-07-10 16:08
    If you would like an easy way to control the strobes and buzzers, I would use the Parallax digital I/O board. It has 8 relays (solid state state or mechanical) and 8 inputs for buttons or what ever. I don't know about the case or if you would need a readout, but for wireless, you can use xbees, which are easy, long range, an reliable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My website www.quigleyelectronics.com/
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-07-10 16:20
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=914765

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Capt.KerryCapt.Kerry Posts: 28
    edited 2010-07-13 13:46
    Thanks Stephen, shoulda' looked before i leaped!