Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PR2 Robot and some neat videos of it. — Parallax Forums

PR2 Robot and some neat videos of it.

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2010-07-10 12:05 in Robotics
This robot is just a bit more advanced than BOEBot

PR2 plays pool

PR2 fetches a beer

The arm design is kind of funky. But I like the idea of a beer fetch robot competition.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-07-09 17:08
    Cool, but I'd expect a $25,000 robot to fetch a beer faster than that. It was painful to watch even at 5X speed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."

Post Edited (erco) : 7/10/2010 4:50:18 PM GMT
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-07-10 12:05
    I haven't seen your beer fetching robot. Do you have any videos? I imagine that like Baxter you decomposed the problem to the point where the robot didn't need much·representation of the external world. For some reason I'm fixated on beer fetching robots lately.

In looking at the PR2 video it looks like their speed problem is due to their heavy duty machine vision work. The robot opens the fridge door and locates the beer. It then recognizes faces to give them the beer. That requires a pretty rich internal model of the external world. There's a cool TED video on optical illusions which explains why they happen. Basically you take a 3D world and map it onto a pair of 2D planes. The next step is turn the 2D images into a 3D internal model of reality. The problem is that there are many possible original 3D worlds for the 2D images. So an optical illusion happens when your brain is tricked into transforming the 2D image into an impossible external 3D world. I imagine it is computationally tough to build programs that do that.

BTW I saw a PR2 safety video on Bot junkie and it made me glad I work hobby robots. The worse case scenarios are pretty mild for an out of control Scribbler.

Post Edited (Martin_H) : 7/10/2010 3:26:35 PM GMT