Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming a Stamp to effectively Reset — Parallax Forums

Programming a Stamp to effectively Reset

GeekgirlGeekgirl Posts: 50
edited 2010-07-10 12:29 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Team,

I'm looking for a way to have a button press sequence cause a reset on a BS2p40.

I have Aux pin 15 available. I was thinking that if I connect it to the reset pin with a .1 cap, and set it high at startup, then taking it low would pull the reset pin low long enough to cause a reset.

Anyone ever tried this, or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Darlene

Post Edited (Geekgirl) : 7/9/2010 3:36:28 AM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-09 01:54
    Just connect P15 to the reset pin through a 220 Ohm resistor. When you want to reset the Stamp, do "OUTS15 = 0", then "DIRS15 = 1". The Stamp will reset and resetting it will reset the I/O registers and P15 will become an input again.
  • GeekgirlGeekgirl Posts: 50
    edited 2010-07-09 02:28
    Mike Green said...
    Just connect P15 to the reset pin through a 220 Ohm resistor. When you want to reset the Stamp, do "OUTS15 = 0", then "DIRS15 = 1". The Stamp will reset and resetting it will reset the I/O registers and P15 will become an input again.
    Seems easy enough, except that getting things to work with the Aux pins doesn't always work as easy as it's supposed to, hence I was thinking along the line of· " Auxio :LOW 15· " as a simple way to do it.

I can see using the 220 ohm resistor instead of a cap. Since it's pulled up internally with a 4.7k, it could even be 1k resistor, as it only needs to drop the reset pin below 4.2V

Thanks Mike,

Darlene
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-07-10 05:33
    Geekgirl

If you know the answer. Why ask the question ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA

want speed?·want·to use the Propeller?·want to stay with BASIC___www.propbasic.com___

You can feel stupid by asking a stupid question or You can be really·stupid by not asking at all.

·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-07-10 05:42
    $WMc%,
    Trust me. People often ask questions when they really know the answer. They're unsure and would like confirmation, but sometimes are uncomfortable stating what they believe is true and asking for confirmation. Sometimes they have two or more possible answers and are not sure which is correct or if both are right. Sometimes they would also like an explanation.
  • GeekgirlGeekgirl Posts: 50
    edited 2010-07-10 12:29
    $WMc% said...
    Geekgirl

If you know the answer. Why ask the question ?

Ummmm, because maybe it's not the best or only answer.

Why implement a far less than optimal solution, when better options are often here for the asking.

I'd rather fell stupid asking and finding I did have a good answer, than really stupid for not askingf at all.

Darlene

Mike hit the nail on the head.